Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

Project help

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I'm new here and I quite don't know where to post this question. Apologies if this is the wrong place to start. I'm a graduate student with a peculiar liking to CPU design. I recently completed the design of a 32 bit generic RISC microprocessor. Now I'd like to implement it on an Altera FPGA. I am currently acquainting myself with the Quartus Prime Lite Edition v15.1. I intend to code it in Verilog. I was wondering if you guys can help me out as to which is the best one to choose. I had a word with my Professor who suggested to go ahead with the Altera DE2 development board. Any help in this regard will be truly appreciated. I am looking to implement this as a graduate project for my graduating semester in the Spring of 2016. 

Thank You
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You definitely come to the right place... as your project sound like quite high tech, but can enclose more details? as the board selection is highly depend on your application topic and components involvements. but it seems that you don't need a arm core. probably DE2 quite good already

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

You definitely come to the right place... as your project sound like quite high tech, but can enclose more details? as the board selection is highly depend on your application topic and components involvements. but it seems that you don't need a arm core. probably DE2 quite good already 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank You :) 

The outcome of the project would be to write a small code, probably in assembly and control the LED(s) on the FPGA. Do you think it is possible?? And I guess Quartus Lite v 15.1 does not support Cyclone II based FPGA. So what could be the way out??
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Well.. if you insisted to be with cyclone II, you have to use an older quartus version then 13.1, as if not mistaken the lowest grade part you can use with the quartus prime is cyclone IV. 

http://dl.altera.com/devices/
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Since you would like to code small design, I think having the lowest cost possible would be great. If CII is enough for your project, then use it to save $$

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

well.. juts use the cyclone II and install a quartus 13.1 . Let;s move on :D

0 Kudos