Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16592 Discussions

QII support for unconstrained array elements in records

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear all, 

The use of unconstrained array elements in records (allowed in VHDL 2008) would be really helpful in the project I am working on right now. However, QII does not seem to support this feature. Does anyone know if it will be added anytime soon? 

I am currently using QII 13, but I read that there is no support even in more recent versions (please correct me if I am wrong). I found another way of doing the same thing but it's rather cumbersome, while using this feature would result in very clean and compact code. 

Thank you. 

Stefano
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Quartus Prime Pro uses a new synthes parser that has greatly expanded support for VHDL and Verilog. I don't know the case of unconstrained arrays in records for sure, but if other tools support it then this probably will. The downside is that it only supports Arria 10/Stratix 10, so if targeting an older family you won't be able to use it.  

(It was a large project to do this new parser, as well as other Pro features, and it generates different results, which are reasons why it wasn't ported back to older families. Understandably, this can cause some pain if Intel has something but doesn't support your device.)
0 Kudos