Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16598 Discussions

Qsys mm_interconnect - how to control size

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've got a largeish QSYS system with HPS and VIP suite modules, some dual-port RAM, etc. I've got a JTAG-MM Master hooked up to the control ports of the VIP modules, and I've got the HPS LW_AXI hooked up to those same control ports and some of the dual-port RAM. When my QSYS system is built, I get 5 mm_interconnect modules, and 4 of them are some 300-600 ALMs and the 5th is nearly 4000 ALMs. I've got them all clocked with the same clock, but for some reason this interconnect needs to take up a large percentage of my chip which I can ill afford. Would it be better to use the full AXI bus, not the lightweight one? 

Cheers, 

Simon
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Qsys generates logic for every interconnection, and if you connect dissimilar masters to the same slave, the logic at each connection point can explode. 

Try inserting a pipeline bridge such that all your slaves have only the pipeline bridge as a master, and then connect your masters to the pipeline bridge. 

I believe this is detailed in an appnote describing how to optimize Qsys designs, but I can't find the reference at the moment.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Ted, that's exactly what was required. Saved 3k ALMs!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I believe this is detailed in an appnote describing how to optimize Qsys designs, but I can't find the reference at the moment. 

--- Quote End ---  

Do you have this app note somewhere available?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Turns out it is in the Quartus Handbook, not an appnote - see the section "Creating Dedicated Master and Slave Connections to Minimize Interconnect Logic" in Chapter 8 Optimizing Qsys System Performance of https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/qts/qts-qps-5v1.pdf  

The entire chapter is worth a read if you're spending any time with Qsys.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks I will have a deeper look into it.

0 Kudos