Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16703 Discussions

Quartus 8.0 on Ubuntu 10.10 Server 64bit

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Folks, 

I have installed Quartus II v8.0 on a new Ubuntu 10.10 Server 64 bit installation. The installation scripts needed some rework to get them to run but everything appears to have worked. 

I'm using Xming and Putty on a Windows Vista box to run the Quartus apps remotely on the Ubuntu server. I can get emacs and other apps to launch fine. I can get the Nios2 IDE to launch fine. When I attempt to launch Quartus, I just get a blank window. 

Has anyone run into this? Anyone have any ideas?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

there were all kinds of issues with the MainWin GUI library at that time. you'll have the best luck running more recent software

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Bah. Okay. I'm stuck with this version of the tools for a certain project, but I am planning on installing the latest version next. Hopefully the latest version will install without too much trouble. 

Thanks for the reply!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

If you are running via an X tunnel, you might want to make sure you have X forwarding running in fully trusted mode (-Y). I seem to remember there were some issues with -X vs -Y and permissions failures with normal -X mode..
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the suggestion. 

I'm just using the X Forwarding flag in Putty, which doesn't indicate which SSH flag it's using. I am able to get other apps to launch and work properly on my Windows box using X forwarding, so I wouldn't think it would be a permissions problem for just the Quartus app...
0 Kudos