Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16606 Discussions

[Quartus] Organize project files in folders

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is it possible to organize the project files in folders? 

For instance if a folder will have the module itself, a top module which contains the module and a testbench script. 

and in quartus I want to have in project navigator 

Files 

-Module1 Folder 

---module1.v 

---module1_tb.v 

---module1_top.v 

-module2 

---module2.v 

Thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can organize your files in whatever folder structure you want, but as far as I know Quartus will always show the files flat in the "Files" view of the Project Navigator. 

However, did you notice that there's a "Hierarchy" view in the Project Navigator? As soon as you ran synthesis (or at least analysis & elaboration), it'll show you a hierarchical view of the source files. I know this is not exactly what you asked for, but the closes Quartus feature I know of.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

You can organize your files in whatever folder structure you want, but as far as I know Quartus will always show the files flat in the "Files" view of the Project Navigator. 

However, did you notice that there's a "Hierarchy" view in the Project Navigator? As soon as you ran synthesis (or at least analysis & elaboration), it'll show you a hierarchical view of the source files. I know this is not exactly what you asked for, but the closes Quartus feature I know of. 

--- Quote End ---  

The hierarchy view is not of the source files; it's the hierarchical view of the design entities and their instantiations after analysis & elaboration. In the Files view of the project navigator, you can see all the files used by the compiler, but they are not organized hierarchically.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The files structure is just up to you. 

When you create a new files quartus by default put it in the same directory where you've the .qpf, but you can change it to whatever you like. 

I've a lot of customers that actually create a build directory and in parallel an IP ones and under IP they create subdir for every IP. 

If you use IP catalogue again you can put the main file of the IP where you like, but then the IP folders structure is predefined and you shall not change it. 

Anyway it is easy to get what you are looking for.
0 Kudos