Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16606 Discussions

Quartus/Timequest and extended temperature

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For Cyclone III (EP3C10F256), Quartus does not show any industrial-temp versions as "available devices". The Tech Bulletin extended temperature support for cyclone ii, cyclone iii, and max ii devices states: 

"For extended temperature operation for Cyclone III devices, Altera supports the use of industrial-grade devices with de-rating. Customers wishing to use Cyclone III devices over the extended temperature range must compile their designs in Quartus using the -8 timing model." 

Derating to a slower commerical model doesn't seem to clearly address operation at -40C, because the devices tend to be faster at lower termperatures. At the same time, you want the tools to account for the faster as well as slower variations in the timing model in order to generate a fit & route that works across the entire range. 

So the question is, is this really the correct way to compile a Cyclone III design for use over the industrial temperature range, with some assurance that the result will work consistently on production boards?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Which version of Quartus do you have and are you sure that the Cyclone III models are all installed? 

This application note was written before Quartus had better temperature models, and now (at least on my Quartus II 11.1 SP2) I can select a EP3C10F256I7 and change the temperature range to -40/+125. You don't need to use the commercial 8 model any more.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've tried 11.1 and 12.1. Is it possible the web editions don't have the industrial-grade timing models?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Apprently there was an operator-tool malfunction. I changed the device assignment to another family, and then came back to Cyclone III, at which point all the 'missing' devices showed up. Not sure where they were hiding. 

So, the bottom line for anyone else who might be wondering is that the industrial temp models are indeed there, even in the web edition.
0 Kudos