Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16601 Discussions

Quartus WSL and multi-user Windows Domain

EricP
Beginner

We are running a Windows Domain and it seems impossible to use any version of Quartus which requires WSL with Ubuntu 18.04

1) WSL requires _each_user_ to install the Ubuntu component and as the students are "restricted users" they have no write permissions to the C: drive. Installing it as administrator does not make is visible or useable by anyone else.

2) With thousands of machines - we use roaming profiles and so each student would have to have admin wrights on all machines in order to install / configure WSL for the machines they use.

So I see no way that newer versions of Quartus can be used in a multi-user / roaming profile / Windows Domain.

It almost makes more sense to have the students run Quartus on the Linux machines - but we don't have that many.

Hopefully there is a work-around that doesn't involve hanging on an older Quartus release?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SyafieqS

Hi Eric,

I would recommend you to Linux env as it is more flexible. For now there is no work in progress for WSL multi-user in Window. You can use open source Virtual Machine as a workaround on Window.

Thanks,

Regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SyafieqS

Hi Eric,

Note: Starting with the Nios® II EDS in the Intel® Quartus® Prime Pro Edition software version 19.2 and Intel® Quartus® Prime Standard Edition software version 19.1, the Cygwin component in the Windows* version of Nios II EDS has been removed and replaced with Windows Subsystem for Linux(WSL)

Referring to above note, should not be any issue as there is no need to install WSL for older version(I guess this is what you meant by older version) and therefore students can get accessed to Quartus.

Thanks,

Regards

0 Kudos
EricP
Beginner

Correct the older versions use Cygwin and don't need WSL. However, we're jumping onto some new dev boards and want to jump to a newer version of Quartus. Students also tend to download the current version and if we're running something 4+ years old - it doesn't look good! For instance we were using QSys well after SOPC Builder became the norm and students would come back from workterms having used SOPC builder ....

If we do not jump to a newer version of Quartus within this development cycle - it will have to happen. Hopefully there is a work around for this - or one is in the works?

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Hi Eric,

I would recommend you to Linux env as it is more flexible. For now there is no work in progress for WSL multi-user in Window. You can use open source Virtual Machine as a workaround on Window.

Thanks,

Regards

0 Kudos
EricP
Beginner

Thanks for the information.

0 Kudos