Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Quartus compile message options?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All 

I'm new to Quartus and not sure I like it yet as it appear to assume everything is done with non-portable wizard generated LPM blocks... Which is a bit of a problem for me because I need to generate generic VHDL code that can be targeted at any chip vendors silicon and tools... and as such it is good to actually know what the tools are inferring from my VHDL so I can tweak it to generate the logic I actually wanted in the fist place...  

I'm a big Xilinx Webpack user and by default that toolset tells you what your VHDL code is generating (FSM with state coding, counters, adders/subtractors, registers, ram etc) on a file by file basis as it compiles the sources. Does anyone know of a way to get quartus to list what it is inferring from your code when it compiles it or is this level of info just not possible? 

Thanks, 

Dave
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

As someone said in another message thread, the cases that generally require instantiated megafunctions, whether LPMs or Altera specific, are those where you are using silicon device features that the synthesis tool cannot infer from the RTL. This would be the case for any vendor. 

For coding styles to infer particular functions, see the Quartus II handbook, Volume 1, Section II, Chapter 6. 

In the "Analysis & Synthesis Resource Utilization by Entity" table of the compilation report, find your entity or module name. If a megafunction was inferred, it will be listed as a lower level of hierarchy. There will also be messages listing the inferred functions, but this table might be the easiest place to tell which functions are used by a particular source file. 

The Analysis & Synthesis report also give details about every state machine in messages and in tables.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ta for the reply... but not really what I'm after... for example the default Synthesis report from Webpack for a simple serial ADC FSM / Shiftregister implementation gives: 

========================================================================= 

* HDL Synthesis * 

Synthesizing Unit <pxf_adc>. 

Related source file is "R:/projects/asl0600/Users/dc/Bladerunner/Source/Pxf/new/pxf/PxfAdc.vhd". 

Found finite state machine <FSM_0> for signal <adc_state>. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------- 

| States | 7 | 

| Transitions | 12 | 

| Inputs | 4 | 

| Outputs | 5 | 

| Clock | clk (falling_edge) | 

| Reset | reset (positive) | 

| Reset type | asynchronous | 

| Reset State | adc_state_idle | 

| Power Up State | adc_state_idle | 

| Encoding | automatic | 

| Implementation | LUT | 

----------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Found 1-bit register for signal <aconv>. 

Found 14-bit register for signal <adc_data_hold>. 

Found 1-bit register for signal <adc_conv_done>. 

Found 14-bit register for signal <adc_data>. 

Found 1-bit register for signal <asdo_reg>. 

Found 6-bit up counter for signal <clk_count>. 

Summary: 

inferred 1 Finite State Machine(s). 

inferred 1 Counter(s). 

inferred 31 D-type flip-flop(s). 

Unit <pxf_adc> synthesized. 

* Advanced HDL Synthesis * 

Advanced RAM inference ... 

Advanced multiplier inference ... 

Advanced Registered AddSub inference ... 

Analyzing FSM <FSM_0> for best encoding. 

Optimizing FSM <FSM_0> on signal <adc_state[1:3]> with sequential encoding. 

--------------------------------- 

State | Encoding 

adc_state_idle | 000 

adc_state_wait_ch0 | 001 

adc_state_shift_ch0 | 010 

adc_state_latch_ch0 | 011 

adc_state_wait_ch1 | 100 

adc_state_shift_ch1 | 101 

adc_state_latch_ch1 | 110 

Dynamic shift register inference ... 

HDL Synthesis Report 

Macro Statistics 

# FSMs : 1 

# Counters : 1 

6-bit up counter : 1 

# Registers : 21 

1-bit register : 20 

14-bit register : 1 

Which tells me everything I need to know about how the tools are turning my VHDL into real logic at the high level... I'm not really that worried about what it generates at the gate level... Is there a way to get the same sort of info out of Quartus? 

At present during compilation all Quartus tells me is that it found 1 entity and 1 architecture in the file... and after synthesis how many cells of what type it is using (Analysis & Synthesis Resource Utilization by Entity report)... but with no indication of how its using them... How do I know that 6 of the LC register are a 6-bit up counter or that another 14 are making up the shift-register?  

Brad, you also said "The Analysis & Synthesis report also give details about every state machine in messages and in tables"... I must be dumb, but I can't appear to find any info about the FSMs and how it is auto-encoding the states ;) ... What tab in the report is this on? 

Thanks,  

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

With respect to the State Machine encoding: If you have any code that Quartus recognized as a State Machine, the compilation report will have a folder under "Analysis & Synthesis" called "State Machines". All the encoding is listed there. 

For identifying how the cells were used, I think Brad's suggestion isn't as off the mark as you think. For example, I coded up a simple accumulator in VHDL. Quartus comes back and tells me that all 12 of the used Logic Cells were used by an inferred lpm_add_sub_component. When I code up a multiplier that uses 42 logic cells, it tells me that 24 were used on an inferred combinatorial multiplier, 9 were used in one inferred lpm_add_sub adder and the last 9 were used in a second lpm_add_sub adder. 

That said, I've been doing this stuff for a while and this is the first time I've gone to look at this level of synthesis results. In general, every time I've been unhappy with area usage or speed and tried to provide more "guidance" for the tool, I tend to just mess things up worse. Admittedly, that may be more of a knock against my coding skills than anything else :-)
0 Kudos