Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16666 Discussions

Simulate with Altera IP in ModelSim

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I'm very new to using FPGAs especially ModelSim(Altera). Sorry if this is a very basic question, but i couldnt find the answer in any of the altera documentation. a lot of it talks about using NativeLink to simulate from within quartus but im ok to use modelsim, since im much more comfortable using the waveform editor.  

I have a design of a simple edge detector that instantiates a few RAM blocks ( ALTSYNCRAMs). I want to simulate the design using ModelSim. In ModelSim, I'm able to compile my design if i select all the files ( VHDL file with my RTL as well as the RAM.vhd which i make using the IP designer ). However, I'm unable to simulate the design. I'm not able to simulate the WORK library itself. the option is grayed out. if i try to simulate my top.vhdl file, i get an error saying modelsim cant find my work.ram entities.  

how can i set it up so that i can simulate everything together?  

is it a must that i have to have a test bench? or can i just create/modify waveforms in modelsim to simulate my design?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In principle you compile any source code into a chosen library which defaults to work. Then you simulate any level by selecting from work. 

you will then need to add waveform file by choosing your inputs and applying logic. 

Ideally a testbench can be used to inject data into top level. 

When you compile, check what is the default library. 

The nativelink is not a separate simulator but it launches modelsim from quartus (ready for your design), I never use it.  

Many designers use tcl or do file to compile and run simulation at a single click.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If I am not mistaken you need the altera_mf library. For VHDL: 

library altera_mf; use altera_mf.altera_mf_components.all;
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, the documentation says that since i am using ModelSim (Altera) this is already part of it. I think it is because i am able to compile it ok when I compile all the files together. It is just not working when i try to simulate the files together.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

In principle you compile any source code into a chosen library which defaults to work. Then you simulate any level by selecting from work. 

you will then need to add waveform file by choosing your inputs and applying logic. 

Ideally a testbench can be used to inject data into top level. 

When you compile, check what is the default library. 

The nativelink is not a separate simulator but it launches modelsim from quartus (ready for your design), I never use it.  

Many designers use tcl or do file to compile and run simulation at a single click. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi Kaz, I am not seeing an option to simulate all the files in the WORK library. the option is grayed out. so if i simulate just my top level entity file, i get an error saying it cannot find the instance of RAM. also if i select multiple files in the simulate option from the toolbar i am getting the same error. However for compile I was able to select multiple files like this and it compiled ok.  

I dont have much experience with using tcl or do. I've only ever modified the waveform directly in quartus and run simulation. is there some resource that would help me understand how to use these different things?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

create a text file and save with extension .tcl (or .do) 

example: 

--------------------------------- 

quit -sim 

# compile into work 

vlib ./work 

vcom -93 -work work ../folder1/folder2/my_file.vhd 

vcom -93 -work work ../folder1/folder2/my_top_tb.vhd 

# simulate testbench architecture a, or any file 

vsim -t ps work.my_top_tb(a) 

do wave.do 

radix dec 

run -a 

--------------------- 

to run it type in modelsim command window : do file_name.tcl 

if you haven't waveform file you can start with an empty one, then after simulation add nodes to the waves. 

You need to make sure you got altera libraries compiles and appear in modelsim list.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

create a text file and save with extension .tcl (or .do) 

example: 

--------------------------------- 

quit -sim 

# compile into work 

vlib ./work 

vcom -93 -work work ../folder1/folder2/my_file.vhd 

vcom -93 -work work ../folder1/folder2/my_top_tb.vhd 

# simulate testbench architecture a, or any file 

vsim -t ps work.my_top_tb(a) 

do wave.do 

radix dec 

run -a 

--------------------- 

to run it type in modelsim command window : do file_name.tcl 

if you haven't waveform file you can start with an empty one, then after simulation add nodes to the waves. 

You need to make sure you got altera libraries compiles and appear in modelsim list. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi Kaz, thank you! Actually just after posting my reply earlier, i was able to get it to simulate with all the files. on another forum, i found the vsim command, so i tried 'vsim -i top.vhd, ram.vhd' and it simulated successfully!  

Then i tried adding signals from my object window to my wave and running the simulation. However, i am now getting an error saying it is unable to load my data initialization file.  

" Fatal: (vsim-7) Failed to open VHDL file "ram_data.hex" in rb mode. " 

Is there a way for me to load the memory from my MIF/HEX file for simulation purposes?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

you can copy the hex file into modelsim folder. 

Alternatively look at path of hex in ram file and you can edit it to point correctly from modesim level. 

This a common problem of relative path of hex file as it is decided in quartus level (not modelsim level)
0 Kudos