Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16595 Discussions

Synthesis support for SystemVerilog files in Quartus Prime Version 16.0.0

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I am trying to synthesize a SystemVerilog (.sv) file in Quartus Prime Version 16.0.0. 

I get the following error while using "for" statements without the explicit "generate" statement: (error) near text: "for"; expecting "endmodule" 

The code snippet giving the error is as follows: 

for(genvar i=0; i<4; i=i+1) always_ff@(posedge clk) o_data <= i_data;  

I get the above error in spite of having set the "Settings > Verilog HDL Input > Verilog version" to "SystemVerilog".  

I have also included the comment "// synthesis VERILOG_INPUT_VERSION SYSTEMVERILOG_2005" at the first line of my .sv file. 

As a workaround, I can get Quartus to synthesize my file correctly using the following edited version of the original code snippet:- 

genvar i; generate for(i=0; i<4; i=i+1) begin : name_1 always_ff@(posedge clk) o_data <= i_data; end endgenerate  

However, I have a lot of files using the SysthemVerilog syntax, and editing each "for" statement in each file into a "generate for" as in the above example is a tedious task. 

Is there a way to get Quartus to synthesize the files as they are, in the SystemVerilog syntax of using "for" without an explicit "generate" as above? 

Thanks! 

Akshay
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I get the feeling it is not supported. See here for a list of what SV features are supported: 

http://quartushelp.altera.com/current/index.htm#hdl/vlog/vlog_list_sys_vlog.htm
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The handbook for Q16.1 prime pro talks about enhanced SV support, but you need a pro licence.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi all, 

I am trying to synthesize a SystemVerilog (.sv) file in Quartus Prime Version 16.0.0. 

I get the following error while using "for" statements without the explicit "generate" statement: (error) near text: "for"; expecting "endmodule" 

The code snippet giving the error is as follows: 

for(genvar i=0; i<4; i=i+1) always_ff@(posedge clk) o_data <= i_data;  

I get the above error in spite of having set the "Settings > Verilog HDL Input > Verilog version" to "SystemVerilog".  

I have also included the comment "// synthesis VERILOG_INPUT_VERSION SYSTEMVERILOG_2005" at the first line of my .sv file. 

As a workaround, I can get Quartus to synthesize my file correctly using the following edited version of the original code snippet:- 

genvar i; generate for(i=0; i<4; i=i+1) begin : name_1 always_ff@(posedge clk) o_data <= i_data; end endgenerate  

However, I have a lot of files using the SysthemVerilog syntax, and editing each "for" statement in each file into a "generate for" as in the above example is a tedious task. 

Is there a way to get Quartus to synthesize the files as they are, in the SystemVerilog syntax of using "for" without an explicit "generate" as above? 

Thanks! 

Akshay 

--- Quote End ---  

I think you need to declare "i" as an "int" -> for (int i = 0;.....
0 Kudos