Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16609 Discussions

Using VHDL to generate 20Mhz sine wave and visualizing with a 10bit DAC

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all. I want to generate a 20MHz sine wave in VHDL but have no clue of how to do it. Also, with a device like EP3C10E144C8N, is it possible to achieve that frequency? Also, I intend to use 10-bit output , and use a 10-bit DAC to convert it. Would you please giving me some suggestions about the sine wave generator , and recommending any DIP (I cant use SMD) DAC device that could operate at that frequency? I used to use this CMOS DAC, http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/data_sheets/ad7533.pdf, but it turned out that it is not fast enough for my case. Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The most simple way is to generate a 20 MHz square wave and extract the fundamental wave by a low-pass filter. Otherwise you need to generate a higher output data rate (e.g. 100 or 200 MS/s) to get a halfway continuous output signal. Data rates of several 100 MS/s aren't a problem for recent FPGA and DAC devices, but I fear you won't find a suitable DAC in DIP package. There are a few devices like ADV7120 (8 Bit, 80 MS/s). You may want to use a SOIC to DIP adapter board however.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

The most simple way is to generate a 20 MHz square wave and extract the fundamental wave by a low-pass filter. Otherwise you need to generate a higher output data rate (e.g. 100 or 200 MS/s) to get a halfway continuous output signal. Data rates of several 100 MS/s aren't a problem for recent FPGA and DAC devices, but I fear you won't find a suitable DAC in DIP package. There are a few devices like ADV7120 (8 Bit, 80 MS/s). You may want to use a SOIC to DIP adapter board however. 

--- Quote End ---  

Wow, that sounds pretty neat and clever. If I am about to opt for quadrature modulation, is using square wave and low-pass filter still a valid option?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Wow, that sounds pretty neat and clever. If I am about to opt for quadrature modulation, is using square wave and low-pass filter still a valid option? 

--- Quote End ---  

QAM normally requires clean sine wave. A filtered approach will not produce a clean tone. A rectangular pulse has wide band that will not be filtered clean into a tone. You will need proper nco for that purpose.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

QAM normally requires clean sine wave. A filtered approach will not produce a clean tone. A rectangular pulse has wide band that will not be filtered clean into a tone. You will need proper nco for that purpose. 

--- Quote End ---  

Oh, now I understand. How about Cordic algorithm?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Oh, now I understand. How about Cordic algorithm? 

--- Quote End ---  

First try simple solution. If your required tone is 20MHz and your sampling clock is multiple of 20 e.g. 100MHz then all you need is a cycle of sine data of 100/20 = 5 data points. This can be implemented as basic logic with a counter to read them sequentially. 

If your sampling clock divides with fractional result then you need a larger LUT (possibly altera NCO ip). people use cordic to avoid multipliers at the expense of more logic.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

A rectangular pulse has wide band that will not be filtered clean into a tone. 

--- Quote End ---  

Both will need a filter, and with low sampling frequency of 100 MHz, the filter effort isn't so much lower than for a square wave.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Both will need a filter, and with low sampling frequency of 100 MHz, the filter effort isn't so much lower than for a square wave. 

--- Quote End ---  

I think you are talking about post DAC filter. For a proper NCO you only need the usual anti-image filter. For rectangular pulses you need a shaping filter for the tone's fundamental itself. 

However I am talking about QAM in digits. The normal procedure is to get a clean digital tone for modulation. The DAC output will then just need anti image filter.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I just mentioned, that the filter effort won't be much different for 100 MHz sampling frequency. You can calculate yourself, you get 80 MHz first image frequency versus 60 MHz 3 harmonic, with similar energy. So the difference is probably one more filter order.

0 Kudos