Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16666 Discussions

Using sopc_builder in command line

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There is a quite complex SOPC design that I'd like to build using command line tools. The GUI flow is working. 

One route is to convert it to Qsys. Well, there are too many incompatibilities, and I ruled out this option.  

Running a simple "sopc_builder" with --refresh and --generate options doesn't work either. 

So I started analyzing the log produced by SOPC builder GUI and do the same in a script. I've seen lots of quartus_map commands with undocumented parameters, such as "not_a_project" and "generate_hdl_interface" that write results to /tmp directory on my Linux server. I've seen several calls to Java executables.  

Still, after all that effort, I cannot generate a .qip file given a .sopc input. The log indicates that there is no error. But I suspect there are some missing steps that are not reflected in the GUI logs. 

I'd appreciate any suggestion on how to proceed. 

Thanks, 

Evgeni
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Altera tech support gave me some pointers, and I was able to resolve the issue. 

1. Made sure that SOPC include search is correct. This is defined in user_components.ipx file in /home/<user>/.altera.quartus/ip<revision>/ip_search_path/ directory (different on Windows machines) 

2. Remove .sopc_builder/*.ptf files in the project directory. Those files contain absolute paths to compiled IPs that might not be valid if the project is built from another directory. 

3. run nios2_command_shell.sh that sets up SOPC build environment 

4. run sopc_builder --refresh --generate --debug_log=debug_log.txt <sopc_name> 

Thanks, 

Evgeni
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to run sop_builder from the Linux command line. 

I do not see and sop_builder executable anywhere in the install. 

Can you point me to the Linux executable I need to run? 

Thanks Martin 

ps. a find returns: 

/tools/altera/./14.0/quartus/sopc_builder 

/tools/altera/./14.0/quartus/sopc_builder/bin/sopc_builder.jar 

/tools/altera/./14.0/quartus/sopc_builder/bin/sopc_builder.ptf 

/tools/altera/./14.0/quartus/sopc_builder/model/bin/sopc_builder.pl 

/tools/altera/./14.0/ip/altera/ddr_high_perf/lib/sopc_builder 

/tools/altera/./14.0/ip/altera/ddr_ddr2_sdram/lib/sopc_builder 

/tools/altera/./14.0/ip/altera/ddr3_high_perf/lib/sopc_builder 

/tools/altera/./14.0/ip/altera/pci_compiler/lib/sopc_builder 

/tools/altera/./14.0/ip/altera/pci_compiler/sopc_flow/example/sopc_builder_example_readme.txt 

/tools/altera/./14.0/ip/altera/sopc_builder_ip 

/tools/altera/./14.0/ip/altera/ddr2_high_perf/lib/sopc_builder 

/tools/altera/./14.0/qprogrammer/sopc_builder
0 Kudos