Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15479 Discussions

Vector_Add example with 4 Compute Units

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am trying to understand the use of "num_compute_units(N)" attribute by using "Vector_Add" example . I have not a physical board so I am using the emulator. I attach an image of the OpenCL code with the above attribute. I have several doubts regards its functioning because of the kernel execution time without the attribute is better than the code with "num_compute_units(4)" attribute (as in the attached image). I expect that the code with four CUs reduces the execution time. Do I have to do some changes in the OpenCL code?  

Thanks for your help 

Marco Montini
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Run time in the emulator is *not* a representative of run time on the hardware; in fact, run time in the emulator *does not mean anything whatsoever*. Altera's emulator is not timing-accurate and hence, should not be used for anything other than *functional verification*. 

Furthermore, I already explained here as to why there is no point in using multiple compute units for the vector add example: 

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57921&p=235688#post235688