Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16639 Discussions

What's the mean of "short cuts"?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I alsways saw the word - short cuts in some materials, as below comments, how to understand it? 

--- Quote Start ---  

Oftentimes, a low-latency design will require parallelisms, removal of pipelining, and logical short cuts that may reduce the throughput or the max clock speed in a design 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

From a lexical point of view you can look for shortcut in a dictionary (I usually write it without the space). 

In the quoted context it means the designer should find alternate ways to implement the same logic function, in order to optimize time delays. 

In general, you can have many combinatorial nets which are logically equivalent but maybe one of them is faster because the signal passes through a smaller number of logic gates.  

Using a mathematical analogy, if you calculate either 12x34+12x56+12x78 or 12x(34+56+78) you'll get the same result, but the second one is faster.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

From a lexical point of view you can look for shortcut in a dictionary (I usually write it without the space). 

In the quoted context it means the designer should find alternate ways to implement the same logic function, in order to optimize time delays. 

In general, you can have many combinatorial nets which are logically equivalent but maybe one of them is faster because the signal passes through a smaller number of logic gates.  

Using a mathematical analogy, if you calculate either 12x34+12x56+12x78 or 12x(34+56+78) you'll get the same result, but the second one is faster. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi Cris 72, 

Thanks, It clear now for me.
0 Kudos