Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16635 Discussions

Which QII WE package version support EP4CE22 and EP2C20 dev boards (DE0-Nano & DE1)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hallo Forum, I'm new in Altera FPGA and QUARTUS II (Free) software and would like to play with the terasIC DE0-Nano and DE1 development boards. The boards use Cyclon II and Cyclon IV devices (EP2C20/EP4CE22) Which version of Quartus II for Linux should I install in order to get support for both boards with only one QII installation? According to Altera web page the current QII 13.1 support only Cyclon III to Cyclon V devices. Many thanks in advance for your answer. Markus

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

quartus ii 9.1sp2 (https://www.altera.com/download/software/quartus-ii-we/9.1sp2) supports Cyclone II devices (and Cyclone IV). 

Regards, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Alex, thanks a lot for this Info! Primary I started to install the current QII (free) package ver. 13.1 on my NB and was wandering that the installation give me only the option for Cyclon III to V when selecting the packages by a checkbox option tree. But later I took the origin dvd from the DE0-Nano dev package and installed QII version 13.0 (free) on a second NB and wondering that I get now a checkbox for Cyclon II to V for installation of the components included in the package. But I have not yet checked the QII 13.0 version running with my DE1 dev board with the Cyclon II device but only with the DE0-Nano board. Could this be caused by the cyclon_xxx.qdz files that are different for the web and the dvd software package? Are you convinced that I really need the QII 9.1sp2 package? Thanks Markus

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can determine the version you need on the Quartus download page; 

https://www.altera.com/download/sw/dnl-sw-index.jsp 

Use "Select by Device" and select the older of the two devices you are interested in using, i.e., Cyclone II. Then look down the list for the Web Edition and the list indicates that 13.0sp1 should support the device. 

The university program page has a little more detail on software support: 

http://www.altera.com/education/univ/software/quartus2/unv-quartus2.html 

From that page: 

--- Quote Start ---  

Quartus II version 13.0sp1 supports all Altera University Program FPGA boards, which includes: DE0, DE0-Nano, DE1, DE1-SoC, DE2, DE2-115, DE3, DE4, and DE5-Net. Although new versions of the Quartus II software will be developed and released each year by Altera, Quartus II V13.0sp1 will continue to be maintained and updated for the foreseeable future. Universities that are using the DE1 and/or DE2 boards should continue to use Quartus II V13.0sp1, as explained below. 

--- Quote End ---  

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Dave for your explanation! Have you in addition a hint for me how to prevent my future postings in this forum from bad line formatting (CR/LF issue) Seems that postings from Linux OS using only LF at the end of line will cause this trouble. Yes I know in using a Windows OS I will get the result I'm looking for, but my working machine is running only Linux, without any virtual machine for Windows installed yet. Bye Markus DL8MBY

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Thanks Dave for your explanation! 

--- Quote End ---  

No problem. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Have you in addition a hint for me how to prevent my future postings in this forum from bad line formatting (CR/LF issue) Seems that postings from Linux OS using only LF at the end of line will cause this trouble. Yes I know in using a Windows OS I will get the result I'm looking for, but my working machine is running only Linux, without any virtual machine for Windows installed yet. Bye Markus DL8MBY 

--- Quote End ---  

Hmm, I haven't notice this. Let me re-post from a Centos 6.5 VM ... 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Posting from Centos 6.5, with Firefox, with View->Character Encoding->Western (Windows-1252). 

New line (should be a space above and below). 

Another new line (with space above and below). 

This post shows up fine for me, under both Windows and Linux. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Dave! 

I just write some lines, 

to test the formatting thread issue, 

with some different firefox settings. 

Hopefully I will had more success  

this time. 

Bye 

Markus
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Formatting seems now to be ok! 

For other people running in the same formatting troubles: 

Bad formatting due to running Noscript Addon in firefox. 

Alteraforum have to be allowed in Noscript config! 

Sorry! 

Markus
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Formatting seems now to be ok! 

--- Quote End ---  

Great! 

--- Quote Start ---  

For other people running in the same formatting troubles: 

Bad formatting due to running Noscript Addon in firefox. 

Alteraforum have to be allowed in Noscript config! 

Sorry! 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks for posting your formatting solution. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos