Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Win7 USB Blaster II driver

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've installed the USBblaster II driver on my Win 7 64bit computer from the Quartus 13.0 drivers directory. When I power on my board, Arrow SOCkit, the driver comes up as Jtag cables/Altera USB-Blaster II (Unconfigured) in the device manager. However once I open the programmer or anything related to JTAG, Jtag cables/Altera USB-Blaster II (Unconfigured) disappears and a broken USB Composite Device appears. 

The most annoying thing is that other Win 7 64bit machines don't have this problem with the same drver, board, and cables.  

Does anyone have any ideas short of reinstalling the OS. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Perhaps you should check if this particular PC has other USB devices using an FTDI chip. While this is really long time ago I had some issues with an USB to RS232 bridge using also a FTDI chip and with both connected one if it failed to work all the time...  

I had not encountered this at least 3 years now, but if the other USB device uses an old driver maybe this disturbs...  

Second idea is to use another USB port, sometimes this may help as well. 

Just a few ideas, Carlhermann
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

One more... 

If the device shows up as unconfigured there seems to be a driver issue as this mainly only states the PC has detected an USB device and has read the device's ID but has not yet connected (configured).  

Please check the status on the other PC and try to update the driver on this PC manually by device-manager...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The USB-Blaster II driver initially comes up as "USB-Blaster II (unconfigured)". When jtagserver (part of Quartus) detects it it will program firmware into it, after that it's supposed to change to being a composite device - if you open the device manager then you should also see two devices under "Jtag Cables" - one is a JTAG device and the other a SystemConsole device. 

What do you see in device manager?
0 Kudos