Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

can not open VCD file

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am new to Quartus II. I have created a very simple program for shift register in VHDL. It was successfully compiled. Then I used the University program VWF to create the input waveforms and saved it. When I run it, the last statement is "can not open .......filename .vcd file". However I went to the simulation subdirectory and I can open the file myself inside Quartus II environment. I have tried other files that I previously did. They are working fine. This one is not. Can someone help? 

Also, is there a location in Altera where all the error listings are compiled? can someone send me that link? I could not figure it out. Thanks for your help. 

Using Quartus Prime Lite 15.0, FPGA: MAX10 

I am getting this problem on another unrelated program (attached). It compiles without any error. When I simulate with a .vwf file, the program runs fine, except at the end it states:  

Unable to open C:/altera_lite/Workbench/cnt8b/simulation/qsim/cnt8b.msim.vcd  

Error.  

I notice that the file exists in the directory. In the properties, there is nothing suspicious.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi: 

I am new to Quartus II. I have met the same problem as you. It was successfully compiled. Then I used the University program VWF to create the input waveforms and saved it. When I run it, the last statement is "can not open .......filename .vcd file". Hence, I would like to turn to you. Thanks for your help. 

Using Quartus 13.1,FPGA
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

what is the version of model sim you using now?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Quartus II 13.1.0.162 and ModelSim-Altera 10.1d (Quartus II 13.1),Would you like to tell me the detail reasons for this. Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Quartus II 13.1.0.162 and ModelSim-Altera 10.1d (Quartus II 13.1),Would you like to tell me the detail reasons for this. Thank you very much! 

--- Quote End ---  

I am using Quartus Prime 15.1.0 Lite edition, and Modelsim PE student edition, 10.4a revision 2015.03. I am interested to know the root cause and the means to open the VCD file. Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I amy have replied earilier. in case I missed it, here it is again. 

I am using Quartus Prime 15.1.0 Lite edition, and Modelsim PE student edition, 10.4a revision 2015.03. I am interested to know the root cause and the means to open the VCD file. Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50879 

I have solved the problem in the link.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry for the delayed response. I was tied up on another project. The Modelsim version is PE Student Edition 10.4a.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you. I am tied up on another project. I will try it as soon as I can make some time.

0 Kudos