Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16644 Discussions

converting java method to vhdl

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello ,,  

im facing problems converting my java code to vhdl 

any help ? 

my java code 

public static int size(int index){ int size=0; for(int t=index; t<index+9;t++) if (Sudoku_array) size++; return size; }  

vhdl code 

library ieee; use ieee.std_logic_1164.all; entity size is port ( clk: in std_logic; size: in integer; index: in integer; t: in integer ); end entity; architecture F of initalizeBoard is variable a = sudoku_array'LENGTH; begin clock: process (clk) Loop1: for t in index+9 LOOP if (sudoku_array(t))then size<=size+1; end Loop1; end F;
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What exactly is the problem, other than your VHDL being completly useless for hardware?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

What exactly is the problem, other than your VHDL being completly useless for hardware? 

--- Quote End ---  

Hiii ...  

the problem is that I have errors and now I go confused 

Im converting my game Sudoku that is in java to vhdl. 

the method size is one of my methods. 

you think that it is not needed? 

here is my java code: 

public class Sudoku { static boolean empty = false; //static int fullSet; static int board; static int allowedSets; static boolean sudoku_array = new boolean ; public static void main(String args) { initializeBoard(); readGame(); boolean solved = solveGame(); if(!solved) printSets(); printGame(); } /** * Create board array and create and initialize sets for the * board squares. **/ public static void initializeBoard() { int counter = 0; board = new int; allowedSets = new int ; // Since no moves have been made, any number can go anywhere. // Start the sets out with all possibilities. for(int i = 0; i < 9; i++){ for( int j = 0; j < 9; j++){ allowedSets = counter; counter = counter + 9; } } for (int i = 0; i < sudoku_array.length; i++){ sudoku_array = true; } } /** * Output the sets to the command line. * Used when the solver fails to complete a game. **/ public static void printSets() { for(int i = 0; i < 9; i++){ for( int j = 0; j < 9; j++){ for (int k = allowedSets; k < allowedSets + 9; k++ ) { System.out.print("{"); if(sudoku_array) System.out.print((k)+", "); System.out.println("}"); } } } } /** * Place val into the (x,y) position on the board and update sets * to remove val as a possibility in row x, column y, and the box * containing (x,y). **/ public static void move(int x, int y, int val) { board = val; if(val == 0) // handle 0 moves for readGame() return; // clear everything out of set (x,y) for (int k = allowedSets; k < allowedSets + 9; k++ ) { sudoku_array = sudoku_array && empty; } for (int i = 0; i < 9; i++){ sudoku_array+(val-1)] = false; sudoku_array+(val-1)] = false; } int boxX = x/3; int boxY = y/3; // clear the box containing (x,y) for(int i = 0; i < 3; i++) for(int j = 0; j < 3; j++) sudoku_array + (val-1)] = false; } /** * Read in a game from the command line and put moves on the board * **/ public static void readGame() { try { InputStreamReader isr = new InputStreamReader(System.in); BufferedReader stdin = new BufferedReader(isr); String line = ""; for(int i = 0; i < 9; i++) { line = stdin.readLine(); for(int j = 0; j < 9; j++) move(i,j,line.charAt(j)-'0'); } } catch(java.io.IOException e) { System.out.println(e); } } /** * Get the first element of a set. * If the set has one element, return that element. **/ public static int getElement(int index) { for(int i = index; i < index + 9; i++) if(sudoku_array) return i; System.out.println("uh oh"); return 0; } public static boolean isEmpty(int index) { boolean empty = true; for(int i = index; i < index + 9; i++) empty = empty && !sudoku_array; return empty; } public static int size(int index) { int size = 0; for(int i = index; i < index + 9; i++) if(sudoku_array) size++; return size; } /** * Search the board for a space with only one possibility. If found, * place that move on the board and update sets. Continue until * either no move is made, or there are no possiblities in any squares. **/ public static boolean solveGame() { boolean solved = false; boolean moved = false; int moves = 0; while(!solved) { solved = true; moved = false; for(int i = 0; i < 9; i++) { for(int j = 0; j < 9; j++) { if(size(allowedSets) == 1) { move(i,j,getElement(allowedSets)); moved = true; moves++; } else if(!isEmpty(allowedSets)) solved = false; } } if(!moved) // Give up if no moves were found break; } System.out.println("moves made: " + moves); return solved; } /** * Output the current board position. * **/ public static void printGame() { System.out.println(); for(int i = 0; i < 9; i++) { for(int j = 0; j < 9; j++) System.out.print(board); System.out.println(); } } }  

I decided to convert each method in a separate vhdl file 

and then one that have all the methods added as an component
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What is the end goal? a straight conversion will not work in an FPGA, because VHDL is NOT software. it is a hardware description language. 

Have you got a circuit diagram that you expect to produce that you drew BEFORE you wrote any VHDL? This is usually the first step in digital logic design.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

What is the end goal? a straight conversion will not work in an FPGA, because VHDL is NOT software. it is a hardware description language. 

Have you got a circuit diagram that you expect to produce that you drew BEFORE you wrote any VHDL? This is usually the first step in digital logic design. 

--- Quote End ---  

the goal is to implement it on VHDL and I know it is not a software but this is what I need to do. 

I drew the datapath of my code: 

http://s21.postimg.org/lq0tc7zjb/image.jpg
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

--- Quote End ---  

the goal of this is to implement the game to vhdl. 

I had the following methods drawn in a datapath 

1- initializeBoard 

2- readGame 

3- getElement 

4- isEmpty 

5- size 

6- main 

+ I know that vhdl is not a software but that what I need to do and working on it. 

I got stuck and need help :) 

this is my datapath: 

http://i60.tinypic.com/2ds1bis.jpg
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

the goal of this is to implement the game to vhdl. 

I had the following methods drawn in a datapath 

1- initializeBoard 

2- readGame 

3- getElement 

4- isEmpty 

5- size 

6- main 

+ I know that vhdl is not a software but that what I need to do and working on it. 

I got stuck and need help :) 

this is my datapath: 

http://i60.tinypic.com/2ds1bis.jpg 

--- Quote End ---  

Using FSM and Datapath will not create a Sudoku game. You need to use NIOS and QSYS. I think you are basically trying to convert your code into optimised hardware version, where you implement the computations only. Which can be done easily using state machines without a datapath.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Using FSM and Datapath will not create a Sudoku game. You need to use NIOS and QSYS. I think you are basically trying to convert your code into optimised hardware version, where you implement the computations only. Which can be done easily using state machines without a datapath. 

--- Quote End ---  

What are you on about? 

This can be done without NIOS or QSYS with a pure hareware implementation. In this case you would need a FSM and some form of data path.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Guys, 

I need to generate vhdl code from java? Is there any way to do it? 

below is the general behavioral component vhdl program. How do i write in java this kind of vhdl template?please help me. 

LIBRARY ieee; 

USE ieee.std_logic_1164.ALL; 

ENTITY fsm is  

PORT ( 

global_clk : IN std_logic; 

reset : IN std_logic; 

a : IN std_logic; 

b : IN std_logic; 

c : OUT std_logic); 

END fsm; 

ARCHITECTURE fsm_A OF fsm IS 

type fsmstatetype is ( state1, state2, state3); 

BEGIN 

fsm_P : PROCESS (reset, global_clk) 

VARIABLE testvariable : std_logic := '0'; 

VARIABLE fsmstate : fsmstatetype:= state1; 

BEGIN 

IF (reset = '1') THEN 

testvariable:= '0'; 

fsmstate := state1; 

ELSIF (global_clk'event and global_clk = '1') THEN 

CASE fsmstate IS 

WHEN state1 => 

IF (a='1') THEN and not (b='1') THEN 

testvariable := '1'; 

fsmstate := state2; 

ELSE  

END IF; 

WHEN state2 => 

IF (a='1') THEN and (b='1') THEN 

testvariable := '0'; 

fsmstate := state3; 

ELSE  

fsmstate := state2; 

END IF; 

WHEN state3 => 

IF not (a='1') THEN and not (b='1') THEN 

testvariable := '1'; 

ELSE  

fsmstate := state3; 

END IF; 

END CASE; 

END IF; 

c <= testvariable; 

END PROCESS; 

END fsm_A;
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Java and vhdl are very different things. One is a hardware description language, the other is a software language. What is the reason for wanting to convert between them?

0 Kudos