Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16644 Discussions

qsys - Avalon MM master export

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I was not able to find in a couple of searches an answer to my question, so here I start a new thread: 

I need to make Qsys export an Avalon-MM Master for configuring my hand-coded components. As there is no such option available in Qsys, I thought of a trick:  

* new component with one Avalon-MM slave and one master (see the _tcl.txt attachment) 

* the vhdl unit instantiated by this component would simply wire slave ifc signals with master ifc signals 

* the slave interface connected to the nios 

* the master interface exported 

For some reason this is not working... I mean I see no activity on this interface, although it was generated without errors.  

are there better ways to export a master interface to the module ports? 

thanks!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Why not just use a pipeline bridge and export the master interface for it?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I didn't think of that... works Ok, thanks for the hint. 

Is this the right way to do it?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you don't want anything fancy then I would say yes it's the right way. If you needed to adapt it over to some other standard then the approach you were attempting previous is how I typically do that. 

Just as a FYI by default the address bits that will be exported by the master of the bridge will be byte addresses. If you want word addresses switch the bridge parameter to 'WORDS' or just remember to shift the address bits accordingly. If the thing outside of Qsys has a lot of latency make sure to set the max pending reads of the bridge to accomidate for this. For example if the maximum external read latency is 16 I would use a maximum pending reads of 16 or larger on the bridge.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks for the hint! works as expected.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Why not just use a pipeline bridge and export the master interface for it? 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, I have the same need. I simply exported the master interface, then got this error from eclipse while downloading the software: 

No Nios II target connection paths were located. Check connections and that a Nios II .sof is downloaded. 

Here is my thread: 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48522 

Could you please tell me the right way to export the master interface or the reason why I got the error?
0 Kudos