Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

"In System memory content editor" verified constants to EPCS

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

Is it possible to put "In System memory content editor" constants that are checked (by the designer) to the EPCS ? Without recompiling the whole design. 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do you want to change some design constants? Your design would have to use FPGA memory blocks to store these constants, and then to change them "live" you could use the ISMCE. 

You cannot however then change the configuration bitstream with these new values without an edit to you code and a recompile.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I asked that because ISMCE constants are tuned locally (i mean plugged the final system). 

You say I must change those values in the design and then recompile. 

Fortunately, it takes 10 min to recompile. 

I see there is no hope. 

Perhaps a feature to create. 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If "constants" are tuned in the field then you'll have to store them in flash memory, perhaps using the configuration flash (outside where the config bitstream is stored)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

How to do that, please ? 

NB : I don't use NIOS2, neither SOPC builder. And no flash (except EPCS), no configuration flash like Altera's Devboard. 

Sorry for my english, i'm french.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

nios would probably be the easiest solution and EPCS (same thing as config flash), but i havnt done it and am not sure of the details. 

Alternatively you could find a small eprom device (eg.from Dallas Semi), you'd just have to write an interface to that. thats assuming you dont have mega bits of constants to store.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the idea, it would be useful for future systems. 

It's better, easier, less expensive for me to recompile the project with good constants. 

Have a good day !
0 Kudos