Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16755 Discussions

"No devices installed" error in Quartus II web edition

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I've just installed Quartus II web edition through the downloaded files using. 

altera_installer_cmd.exe --target="C:\QuartusII" --temp="C:\QuartusT" --source="C:\quartus_free" --install=quartus_free -w 

which returned 

---------------------------------------------- 

Altera Installer Version : 10.0sp1.262.0 

Date :Wed Oct 13 11:12:56 2010 

System Info : windows 

Installation Summary : Altera release version 10.0sp1 build 262 

Install Location : C:\QuartusII 

Program Folder : Altera 

Selected Features : 

Quartus II Web Edition software (Free) 

---------------------------------------------- 

Installing quartus_free... 

Command: C:\quartus_free\windows_installer/quartus_free\quartus_free_windows_nsi 

s.exe /PROGRAM_FOLDER=Altera /S /D=C:\QuartusII 

>> Done; return status 0 

The program opens fine but when I try to start a new project i get the error.  

"No devices installed" 

I can continue to setup the project but no device properties may be set and subsequently the project cannot be opened. Has the install gone wrong or am I missing something. I've tried installing twice with the same result.
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

my guess is the install failed, you can take a peek in to $QUARTUS_ROOTDIR/common/devinfo to see if the correct families are installed

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I encountered the same problem. The installation was done with return status 0. When seting up project, I was told no devices installed. What I shall do to install the device families? 

Best regards, 

Tony
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It works after I reinstalled on a different computer that I wasn't using the installer gui (which only worked when the 'launch after download' option was used during download). I guess the answer was to be patient and to stop as many other processes as possible during download to avoid errors. Thanks for the help

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there, 

encountered exactly the same problems when installing quartus for linux (KUbuntu 10.10 x64).  

I did summarise the steps to manually installing devices on my website : 

http://thomasreinbacher.wasner.it/ in the TECH section. 

hope that helps,
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Same error " No devices installed" after Quartus web edition 10.0 SP1 install under W. XP SP3 on several machines.  

the file downloaded to install Quartus was 10.sp1_quartus_free_windows.exe of 2.8G 

and I used the installer gui, launched after extraction to temp directory. 

I had a look in the directory Quartus\common\devinfo and didn't see any device. the only files seen are a ddb_cumulative_famaly.ddb (2k) and ddb_cumulative_info.ddb (77k) and 3 directories: \configuration, \legacy and \programmer, but no device name like MAX3000 or others... 

in revange in the Temp directory created to install quartus, the devices files collection is present in devices\subscription\ xxxx.qda (xxxx= devices name) 

The error of installation occure when the gui finished to install Quartus main and tried to install the devices families. 

retried on several fresh install of W xp without virusscann: same result. 

loosing my time... 

My QUESTION: how to install these devices families into Quartus. 

Thanks for your help..
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

FredSAN, 

Are you using GoogleSearch or similar software? If you do, try disabling it, or configuring it not to index .zip files, and try again. 

As for your question, assuming Quartus itself got properly installed, you can install a device family from a QDA file by typing the following from the dos/shell command-line: 

"quartus_sh --qinstall -qda <location of qda file>" 

Hope this helps
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Finaly succeeded to install devices: 

The problem came from the name I gave to the temp directory where Quartus expand the installer files and the devices files. ( 'temp altera' ) 

the script parser invoqued by GUI of installer does'nt accept directory names with a space character (ascii 32), the name I gave the temp dir: 'temp altera' was not recognized later by GUI during device install. 

I uninstalled Quartus II completely then reinstalled from a temp directory this time named 'temp_altera', with the space character replaced by underscore'_' , and all gets into order, all devices familly files were found and installed correctly.  

Great Thanks to Altera support team for this problem analysis and solving.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

your work is very helpful..thanks 

Best regards, 

Eric
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

very helpfull .the file name should not contain space.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

WOW. It seems as if no one is able to install any devices on Quartus II web edition. I tried all suggestions, and none work. Does anyone know if Altera even supports any devices on its web edition anymore?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

V10.0sp1 is an old release, and it did in fact have a lot of installation problems, some related to conflicts with anti-virus software, for example. 

Have you tried to install the latest V13.0sp1 instead? Starting with V13.0, Quartus II uses a completely new installer (and new on-demand download center), which is much more robust.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I run with this problem while trying to install the 12.1 version under linux ("No devices installed") there is no button for installing devices in the quartus so the command to install a devisce is: 

./quartus_sh --64bit --qinstall -qda "/home/hoyos/12.1_177_quartus_free_linux/devices/web/cycloneive.qda" 

when you are in the /altera/12.1/quartus/bin folder, replace the qda file and path accordingly
0 Kudos