Intel® SoC FPGA Embedded Development Suite
Support for SoC FPGA Software Development, SoC FPGA HPS Architecture, HPS SoC Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems
447 Discussions

Building FreeRTOS demo for Cyclone V fails

jackhab
New Contributor I

Hi

I'm trying to build FreeRTOS demo (FreeRTOSv202112.00\FreeRTOS\Demo\CORTEX_A9_Cyclone_V_SoC_DK project) for Cyclone V using bare-metal compiler provided with Quartus 19.1.

The build works until it reaches the alt_interrupt_armcc.s assembly file. At this points the assembler fails as if the file is in incompatible format:

../Altera_Code/HardwareLibrary/alt_interrupt_armcc.s: Assembler messages:
../Altera_Code/HardwareLibrary/alt_interrupt_armcc.s:1: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `*'

In the original Eclipse .cproject file the build tool location is

C:\DevTools\altera\14.0\embedded\host_tools\mentor\gnu\arm\baremetal\bin

This is a very old version of Altera SDK which is not even available for download, so I’m compiling with version 19.1 - its toolchain is in

C:\intelFPGA\19.1\embedded\host_tools\mentor\gnu\arm\baremetal\bin.

So I assume I’m using a newer version of the same compiler (as that used to create the demo) so it’s really strange the assembler fails to parse the file.

It seems unlikely assembly format has changed between gcc version so what can cause such a problem?

Is anyone aware of bare-metal RTOS (not necessarily FreeRTOS) examples which are known for sure to compile with the latest versions of either ARM Compiler or ARM gcc?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

I suggest that you get support from FreeRTOS forum support on their website since it is from their example design.

Additionally, can you check if you have installed everything properly (Installing the tools):

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_soc_eds.pdf

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Do you have any further questions?

0 Kudos