Intel® SoC FPGA Embedded Development Suite
Support for SoC FPGA Software Development, SoC FPGA HPS Architecture, HPS SoC Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
311 Discussions

Cyclone V SoC how to download Linux on board without SD,MMC

ABolm1
Beginner

I am new at SoC and Linux, so can anyone tell me all options to download Linux on a custom board without SD, MMC cards? I know that HPS can boot Linux from NAND or qSPI, but don’t know the best way to download Linux to these types of memory? I am considering the idea of ​​using a USB-SPI bridge and an HPS SPI controller to boot Linux into qSPI or NAND, or possibly download Linux from Eternet to NAND via EMAC. But how I suspect that all this methods requires a program using baremetal on HPS? Maybe someone knows how to make such an idea easier without baremetal programmig?

P.S. As i know there is a way to download Linux to NAND via JTAG but it reuires license on DS-5 , but I use the free version of Quarus and EDS Comunity edition.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

I suggest that you check out Rocketboards.org to get familiar with the booting and bootloader for the Cyclone V SoC:

https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Main/GettingStarted

There are guides from compiling the hardware design to running Linux. you may choose your topics.

There are also pre-built image to see how it would boot up the Linux.

Once you get familiar with it, you may proceed with building the bootloader to boot Cyclone V SoC to boot from QSPI:

https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/BuildingBootloader#Cyclone_V_SoC_45_Boot_from_QSPI

EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Any follow up from your side?

PWeis4
Novice

Hello,

can you boot from usb?