Intel® SoC FPGA Embedded Development Suite
Support for SoC FPGA Software Development, SoC FPGA HPS Architecture, HPS SoC Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems
462 Discussions

Error: The target hardware identity could not be verified. Please check that the target being connected to is of type Cyclone V SoC (Dual Core)

MCOUNSELL
New Contributor I

HI all,

Noob here...

I'm just getting started with Cyclone 5 SoC based dev. I have a De10-Nano board. I can program the FPGA section from Quartus without problem. I can run HelloWorld from DS5 ..... however on occasion I see the following error after debug starts.. it also seems that the FPGA part will reset.

Error: The target hardware identity could not be verified. Please check that the target being connected to is of type Cyclone V SoC (Dual Core) 

Can someone point me in a direction to find out whats up please?

If I set the scatter file to load to OCRAM I don't seem to see this problem.... only on SDRAM....

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
8 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Are you trying to run a bare metal program?

From Debug Configurations > Connection tab, select Altera > Cyclone V SoC (Dual Core) from the Target Connection.

Recommend if you are trying to run the bare metal program you can refer here:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_bm.pdf

Regards.

MCOUNSELL
New Contributor I

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

Yes, it's a bare metal program. I have the bare metal PDF already thanks.

Can I ask if there are any bugs in the debugging through DS5 + USB Blaster setup? ..... is it rock solid... or flakey.... I'm just trying to understand if this kinda stuff is normal or if I am doing something very wrong...

Mike

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi Mike,

There is one regarding "failed to load client library", but the workaround is upgrade to SoC EDS v14.1:

https://www.intel.com/content/altera-www/global/en_us/index/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/fb152500.html

You could find more in the KDB article link here, by searching "DS-5 USB" , etc..:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/kdb-filter.html

I appreciate if you could elaborate on what you meant by, "rock solid or flakey"?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
MCOUNSELL
New Contributor I

Thanks for the answer. By "rock solid or flakey" I just mean is the debugger+usbblaster+DS5 combination of tools "reliable" or do people often report "problems" ? I am only asking so that I know what to expect. If it is reliable - then this means something is wrong locally with my setup. If it does have problems then I won't spend days and days trying to fix something that I cannot.

Thanks

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Based on the KDB link that i provided, there are 4 known issue on DS-5 + USB Blaster, but there are workaround provided for each of them.

The 4 known issue are as of 2015, so I would assume now there would be no major issue.

Sometimes, the issue or bug may not be the interface of the DS-5 and the USB Blaster itself, it may be some initialization issue that causes the interface to not work.

Regards.

0 Kudos
MCOUNSELL
New Contributor I

Thanks, when you say initialization issue do you mean initialization of the HPS by preloader?

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Yes, proper steps needs to be followed to bring up the board. More info can be found here:

https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Main/GettingStarted

You can choose > Cyclone V > the Quartus Version > any topic that you want to look into.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Balerion
Novice

Hi all, 

Have you found any solution about this problem? I am currently facing the same problem. The Arm DS IDE gives me error as "The target hardware identity couldn't be verified. Please check that the target being connected to is of type Agilex-7 SoC" If you found any solution to it, I'd be glad to hear it.

Thanks,

Balerion

0 Kudos