Intel® SoC FPGA Embedded Development Suite
Support for SoC FPGA Software Development, SoC FPGA HPS Architecture, HPS SoC Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems
445 Discussions

Error while running SPL debug bootloader script

eng6138
Novice

Environment:  Ubuntu 20.04, Arm DS 2020 Standard, Quartus Prime 18.0 Standard, Terasic DE1-SoC dev kit.

Reference page:  https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/SoCEDS#Cyclone_V_Bare_Metal_Example_Using_SoC_EDS_Standard_Edition

Issue:  running the "debug-spl.ds" script noted in the link above (but tailored for the DE1-SoC dev kit), DS 2020 reports "ERROR(CMD360)...Wait for stopped timed out".  u-boot built successfully, as did the Quartus project which is based on a Terasic reference design.  I can run generic "hello world" programs, but cannot load the custom bootloader which allows access to the FPGA components.  debug-spl.ds script:

stop
wait 5s
reset
stop
wait 5s
set trust-ro-sections-for-opcodes off
loadfile \$sdir/u-boot-socfpga/spl/u-boot-spl 0x0
start
wait
restore \$sdir/u-boot-socfpga/spl/u-boot-spl.dtb binary &__bss_end
tbreak spl_boot_device
continue
wait 60s

From the DS 2020 Commands window:

Connected to running target Intel SoC FPGA - Cyclone V SoC (Dual Core)
cd "[...]/developmentstudio-workspace"
Working directory "[...]/developmentstudio-workspace"
source /v "/opt/arm/developmentstudio-2020.0/sw/debugger/configdb/Scripts/altera_target_check.py"

No SYSID registers could be found. Has a peripheral description file been supplied?

source /v "[...]/Documents/DE1_SoC_demo_2020/software/bootloader/debug-spl.ds"
+stop
Execution stopped in SVC mode at S:0xFFFF29B8
S:0xFFFF29B8 B {pc} ; 0xffff29b8
+wait 5s
+reset
+stop
WARNING(CMD315): Target is not running
+wait 5s
+set trust-ro-sections-for-opcodes off
Target has been reset
+loadfile \$sdir/u-boot-socfpga/spl/u-boot-spl 0x0
WARNING(IMG66): Unable to check the image is the correct endianness as the target is running.
Loaded section .text: S:0xFFFF0000 ~ S:0xFFFFA7FB (size 0xA7FC)
Loaded section .rodata: S:0xFFFFA7FC ~ S:0xFFFFCEAA (size 0x26AF)
Loaded section .data: S:0xFFFFCEAC ~ S:0xFFFFCF0B (size 0x60)
Loaded section .u_boot_list: S:0xFFFFCF0C ~ S:0xFFFFD6AF (size 0x7A4)
Entry point S:0xFFFF0000
Execution stopped in SVC mode due to a breakpoint or watchpoint: S:0x00000000
S:0x00000000 LDR pc,[pc,#24] ; [0x20] = 0xA8
+set semihosting enabled true
Semihosting server socket created at port 8000
+start
Starting target with image [...]/Documents/DE1_SoC_demo_2020/software/bootloader/u-boot-socfpga/spl/u-boot-spl
Running from entry point
WARNING(CMD399-COR168):
# in [...]/Documents/DE1_SoC_demo_2020/software/bootloader/debug-spl.ds:12 while executing: start
! Failed to start the target
! No function named "main" could be found
WARNING(CMD407): Trying the entry point instead
Execution stopped in SVC mode at S:0xFFFF0000
In boot0.h
S:0xFFFF0000 10,0 ARM_VECTORS
+wait
+restore \$sdir/u-boot-socfpga/spl/u-boot-spl.dtb binary &__bss_end
Restoring Binary file [...]/Documents/DE1_SoC_demo_2020/software/bootloader/u-boot-socfpga/spl/u-boot-spl.dtb into memory
Restoring section S:0x00000000 to S:0x00000A9D into memory S:0xFFFFD6C4 to S:0xFFFFE161
+thbreak spl_boot_device
Hardware breakpoint 2 at S:0xFFFF0B0C
on file spl_gen5.c, line 31
+continue
+wait 60s
ERROR(CMD360):
# in [...]/Documents/DE1_SoC_demo_2020/software/bootloader/debug-spl.ds:26 while executing: wait 60s
! Wait for stopped timed out
ERROR(CMD656): The script [...]/Documents/DE1_SoC_demo_2020/software/bootloader/debug-spl.ds failed to complete due to an error during execution of the script

0 Kudos
5 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel
0 Kudos
eng6138
Novice

You linked me to the same webpage I linked and followed in the original post.  Really?  After 2 months of waiting?

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

The step I am referring to is to debug where it last stopped, did you try running the DS-5 step by step and check where it last stop is? Is it SDRAM.c etc? 

You may want to try with our GHRD image to see if this would boot:

https://releases.rocketboards.org/release/2020.07/gsrd/cv_gsrd/

0 Kudos
ESaiv
New Contributor I

I think I can help. Check out my written solution on my own post which had the same problem as you're having. Since you are using the DE1, not Cyclone V Development Kit, I bet it's the same problem as me. I was using the DE10-Nano. 

Let me know if I can clarify anything in my solution post for you. 

[Edit a few hours later: I noticed in your post that I misread, and that you did in fact tailor the process for your DE1-SoC kit. My fix might not be much use then. Did you you do all three steps? Hand-off, qts_filter, and the config?]

0 Kudos
ESaiv
New Contributor I

And just to be clear, in my post I linked above, I mention the Bare Metal User Guide, but go ahead and completely ignore that. What I typed as my solution applies to the SoCEDS example you linked as well. I reference this example in my post as well.

0 Kudos