Intel® SoC FPGA Embedded Development Suite
Support for SoC FPGA Software Development, SoC FPGA HPS Architecture, HPS SoC Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems
445 Discussions

How to fix error on TeamCity with SoC EDS 18.1: Toolchain required to build project is not registered: Altera Baremetal GCC (with eclipse console executable: eclipsec.exe)

RGrot
Novice

Note: This problem was also posted on an old thread that does no longer get attention.

We use an application called TeamCity for continuous integration. When developers check-in their changes, TeamCity will rebuild the software on an agent (that runs on a virtual machine with Windows Server 2016).

I installed the following software on a TeamCity agent:

By default the TeamCity service runs with the SYSTEM account. I already detected some problems with Altera tooling and the SYSTEM account and decided to create a separate local account "svc_teamcity". I added this account to the administrators group and granted it permission to logon as a service (SeServiceLogonRight). I used this account to install the software (Nios II EDS and SoC EDS).

Next step is to configure the "Altera Baremetal GCC". First I did this manually with add_toolchain.exe and ds5_link.exe based on the info on: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00003yyS7jSAE/

As this did not help I decided to create a script that could be run as a post-install by TeamCity. In this way it would run in the same environment as a software build.

This is the script:

#!/bin/bash   # https://developer.arm.com/products/software-development-tools/license-management/resources/product-and-toolkit-configuration # http://infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.arm.doc.faqs/ka16372.html # ARM_TOOL_VARIANT is already set via Windows Environment variable # export ARM_TOOL_VARIANT=altera   env   # https://developer.arm.com/products/software-development-tools/ds-5-development-studio/resources/tutorials/adding-new-compiler-toolchains-to-ds-5 cd /cygdrive/c/altera/18.1/embedded/host_tools/mentor/gnu/arm/baremetal/bin /cygdrive/c/altera/18.1/embedded/ds-5/bin/add_toolchain.exe --non-interactive .   cd /cygdrive/c/altera/18.1/embedded/host_tools/altera/ds5_link ./ds5_link.exe

This scripts runs successful on TeamCity, see output:

Step 2/2: Run SoC EDS Command Shell build (Command Line) (6s) Launching ""C:\altera\18.1\embedded\Embedded_Command_Shell.bat"" in working directory D:\BuildAgentData1\work\350ec922e6c84c6 as it is not present in checkout directory D:\BuildAgentData1\work\350ec922e6c84c6 Running interpreter: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe Starting: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /c "C:\altera\18.1\embedded\Embedded_Command_Shell.bat" D:/BuildAgentData1/work/350ec922e6c84c6/post-install-altera.sh in directory: D:\BuildAgentData1\work\350ec922e6c84c6 USERDOMAIN_ROAMINGPROFILE=NLHEN1BLD101 HOMEPATH=\Users\svc_teamcity ARM_TOOL_VARIANT=altera MANPATH=/usr/local/man:/usr/share/man:/usr/man: LOC_JAVA=C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_162\bin\java.exe APPDATA=C:\Users\svc_teamcity\AppData\Roaming TEAMCITY_BUILD_PROPERTIES_FILE=D:\BuildAgentData1\temp\buildTmp\teamcity.build7896560630992200924.properties ProgramW6432=C:\Program Files HOSTNAME=nlhen1bld101 WRAPPER_BITS=32 JDK_18_x64=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_162 SHELL=/bin/bash TERM=cygwin PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=Intel64 Family 6 Model 63 Stepping 2, GenuineIntel WINDIR=C:\Windows TMPDIR=/cygdrive/d/BuildAgentData1/temp/buildTmp TEAMCITY_CAPTURE_ENV="C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_162\bin\java.exe" -jar "D:\BuildAgent1\plugins\environment-fetcher\bin\env-fetcher.jar" HAS_ALTERA=TRUE PUBLIC=C:\Users\Public SOPC_KIT_NIOS2=C:/altera/18.1/nios2eds QSYS_ROOTDIR=C:\altera\18.1\quartus\sopc_builder\bin ARM_PRODUCT_PATH=C:\altera\18.1\embedded\ds-5/sw/mappings USERDOMAIN=NLHEN1BLD101 CommonProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files OS=Windows_NT ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\ProgramData TEAMCITY_VERSION=2018.1 (build 58245) USER=NLHEN1BLD101+svc_teamcity JRE_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_162 TEMP=/tmp temp=D:\BuildAgentData1\temp\buildTmp COMMONPROGRAMFILES=C:\Program Files\Common Files tmp=D:\BuildAgentData1\temp\buildTmp ALTERA_DIR_181=C:\altera\18.1 TEAMCITY_BUILDCONF_NAME=Altera 18.1 post-install USERNAME=svc_teamcity PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6 JDK_18=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_162 BUILD_VCS_NUMBER=1181 ProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86) QUARTUS_ROOTDIR=C:/altera/18.1/quartus PATH=/cygdrive/c/altera/18.1/embedded/host_tools/mentor/gnu/arm/baremetal/bin:/cygdrive/c/altera/18.1/embedded/host_tools/gnu/make/H-x86_64-mingw32/bin:/cygdrive/c/altera/18.1/embedded/host_tools/altera/preloadergen:/cygdrive/c/altera/18.1/embedded/host_tools/altera/mkimage:/cygdrive/c/altera/18.1/embedded/host_tools/altera/mkpimage:/cygdrive/c/altera/18.1/embedded/host_tools/altera/device_tree:/cygdrive/c/altera/18.1/embedded/host_tools/altera/diskutils:/cygdrive/c/altera/18.1/embedded/host_tools/altera/imagecat:/cygdrive/c/altera/18.1/embedded/host_tools/altera/secureboot:/cygdrive/c/altera/18.1/embedded/host_tools/gnu/dtc:/cygdrive/c/altera/18.1/embedded/host_tools/python:/cygdrive/c/altera/18.1/embedded/ds-5/sw/gcc/bin:/cygdrive/c/altera/18.1/embedded/ds-5/sw/ARMCompiler5.06u6/bin:/cygdrive/c/altera/18.1/embedded/ds-5/bin:/cygdrive/c/altera/18.1/nios2eds/bin/gnu/H-x86_64-mingw32/bin:/cygdrive/c/altera/18.1/nios2eds/sdk2/bin:/cygdrive/c/altera/18.1/nios2eds/bin:/cygdrive/c/altera/18.1/quartus/bin64:/cygdrive/c/altera/18.1/quartus/sopc_builder/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/cygdrive/c/Windows/system32:/cygdrive/c/Windows:/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/Wbem:/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0:/cygdrive/c/Users/svc_teamcity/AppData/Local/Microsoft/WindowsApps:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Java/jre1.8.0_162/bin PSModulePath=%ProgramFiles%\WindowsPowerShell\Modules;C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules SHELLOPTS=braceexpand:hashall:igncr:interactive-comments PWD=/cygdrive/c/Users/svc_teamcity WRAPPER_PATH_SEPARATOR=; SYSTEMDRIVE=C: VER_JAVA=8.0.1620.12 JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_162 CYGWIN=nodosfilewarning LANG=en_US.UTF-8 USERPROFILE=C:\Users\svc_teamcity TZ=Europe/Amsterdam HAS_JAVA=TRUE LOGONSERVER=\\NLHEN1BLD101 CommonProgramW6432=C:\Program Files\Common Files BUILD_VCS_NUMBER_CM_ROOT=1181 WRAPPER_OS=windows PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=AMD64 LOCALAPPDATA=C:\Users\svc_teamcity\AppData\Local ProgramData=C:\ProgramData SHLVL=2 JDK_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_162 HOME=/cygdrive/c/Users/svc_teamcity PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC HOMEDRIVE=C: !D:=D:\BuildAgentData1\work\350ec922e6c84c6 TEAMCITY_PROCESS_FLOW_ID=412071308148 PROMPT=$P$G COMSPEC=C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe TMP=/tmp SYSTEMROOT=C:\Windows PRINTER=Microsoft Print to PDF PROCESSOR_REVISION=3f02 VER_ALTERA=;18.1; BUILD_NUMBER=7 INFOPATH=/usr/local/info:/usr/share/info:/usr/info: PROGRAMFILES=C:\Program Files TEAMCITY_PROJECT_NAME=SW Group Tools NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=2 WRAPPER_ARCH=x86 WRAPPER_FILE_SEPARATOR=\ TEAMCITY_PROCESS_PARENT_FLOW_ID= COMPUTERNAME=NLHEN1BLD101 SOCEDS_DEST_ROOT=C:/altera/18.1/embedded _=/usr/bin/env Toolchain GCC 6.2.0 [arm-altera-eabi] was discovered from C:\altera\18.1\embedded\host_tools\mentor\gnu\arm\baremetal\bin\.   C Compiler : arm-altera-eabi-gcc.exe C Linker : arm-altera-eabi-gcc.exe C++ Compiler : arm-altera-eabi-g++.exe C++ Linker : arm-altera-eabi-g++.exe Assembler : arm-altera-eabi-as.exe Archiver : arm-altera-eabi-ar.exe Image Converter : arm-altera-eabi-objdump.exe   Toolchain 'GCC 6.2.0 [arm-altera-eabi]' added C:\altera\18.1\embedded\ds-5\sw\eclipse\dropins\altera_baremetal_gcc.link => ../../../host_tools/mentor/gnu/arm C:\altera\18.1\embedded\ds-5\sw\eclipse\dropins\altera_cheatsheets.lnk => ../../../host_tools/altera/cheatsheets Process exited with code 0

When I run a software build configuration with the console executer of Eclipse (eclipsec.exe) I get the following error:

Excecuting: eclipsec --launcher.suppressErrors -nosplash -application org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core.headlessbuild -data D:/BuildAgentData1/work/d908518b686f8579/workspace/headless_5748 -build test_baremetal   **** Build of configuration Debug for project test_baremetal ****   Toolchain required to build project is not registered: Altera Baremetal GCC   **** Build of configuration Release for project test_baremetal ****   Toolchain required to build project is not registered: Altera Baremetal GCC Eclipsec: Java was started but returned exit code=1 -Djava.class.path=C:\altera\18.1\embedded\ds-5\bin\..\sw\eclipse\\startup.jar -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64 -launcher C:\altera\18.1\embedded\ds-5\bin\..\sw\eclipse\eclipsec.exe -name Eclipsec --launcher.library C:\altera\18.1\embedded\ds-5\bin\..\sw\eclipse\plugins\org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_64_1.1.401.v20161122-1740\eclipse_1617.dll -startup C:\altera\18.1\embedded\ds-5\bin\..\sw\eclipse\\startup.jar --launcher.overrideVmargs -product com.arm.ds.${ARM_TOOL_VARIANT?$ARM_TOOL_VARIANT$:default} -application org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core.headlessbuild -data D:/BuildAgentData1/work/d908518b686f8579/workspace/headless_5748 -build test_baremetal -vm C:\altera\18.1\embedded\ds-5\bin\..\sw\eclipse\\../java/bin/server/jvm.dll -vmargs -Djava.class.path=C:\altera\18.1\embedded\ds-5\bin\..\sw\eclipse\\startup.jar

How can this be solved?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
RGrot
Novice

Today we found a solution: Use eclipse itself in stead of the console version eclipsec. The same command-line options can be used, e.g:

I.s.o. using this:

COMMAND_TO_RUN="eclipsec --launcher.suppressErrors -nosplash -application org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core.headlessbuild -data ${TEMP_WORKSPACE_DIR} -build ${project}"

use this

COMMAND_TO_RUN="eclipse --launcher.suppressErrors -nosplash -application org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core.headlessbuild -data ${TEMP_WORKSPACE_DIR} -build ${project}"

This is related to case 00412336 on IPS (Intel Premier Support).

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee
Hi, just to understand of what you are trying to do, you are trying to get NIOS II EDS on teamcity server and you granted admin features to your account to get it installed, correct? First, did you get the tool installed successfully or with errors or not able to install it completely? Second, what is the targeted ALTERA's board for this application? How the info in the shared link didn't help? what error you are facing? Regards.
0 Kudos
RGrot
Novice

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Yes, I created an account (named svc_teamcity) and granted it admin features.

With this account I successfully installed both SoC EDS (Intel SoC FPGA Embedded Development Suite, 18.1 Standard) and NIOS II EDS (Quartus Prime Lite Edition, 18.1).

The problem described in my previous message is NOT about NIOS II EDS but about SoC EDS. The targeted Altera chip is Cyclone V (part number 5CSEBA4U23C8N, with Dual ARM).

We use Eclipse to develop the software for Cyclone V (I think this is the default development environment provided by Intel Altera).

On the virtual machine, where I installed SoC EDS + NIOS II EDS + TeamCity agent service, we use the command-line version of Eclipse (eclipsec) to compile the software.

When I run eclipsec with TeamCity I get this error (see title of the thread):

Toolchain required to build project is not registered: Altera Baremetal GCC

The strange thing is that the build successfully runs when I login with "svc_teamcity" and run the same command-line directly e.g.:

C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /k "C:\altera\18.1\embedded\Embedded_Command_Shell.bat" D:/BuildAgentData1/work/d908518b686f8579/build/dbm2_boot_build.sh

So, I expect that some setting is needed to fix the problem. I could not figure out which setting this is. That's the reason I request for help.

The build-script works with Altera 15.1, although I had to fix a problem with the SYSTEM account: "Failed to query My Documents directory". I fixed this problem (with Altera 15.1) by adding a registry key for the SYSTEM account (S-1-5-18):

REG ADD "HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "Personal" /t REG_SZ /d "C:\ProgramData" /f

To understand the context of the problem it may be helpful to show the complete content of the build script that is used to compile the software with eclipsec.

The command-line that is used to start the build-script is e.g.:

C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /c "C:\altera\18.1\embedded\Embedded_Command_Shell.bat" D:/BuildAgentData1/work/d908518b686f8579/build/dbm2_boot_build.sh

An example of a build-script that we use (this works with Altera SoC EDS 15.1 but not with 18.1) is:

#!/bin/bash # Builds the ECSW projects with the command-line version of eclipse: eclipsec # See documentation: http://infocenter.arm.com/help/topic/com.arm.doc.dui0478u/ris1421682431227.html   export SCRIPT_DIR_CYGWIN=$( cd "$( dirname "${BASH_SOURCE[0]}" )" && pwd ) export SCRIPT_DIR=$(cygpath -m -a ${SCRIPT_DIR_CYGWIN}) export CONFIGURATION_DIR_CYGWIN=$(cd ${SCRIPT_DIR}/.. && pwd) export CONFIGURATION_DIR=$(cygpath -m -a ${CONFIGURATION_DIR_CYGWIN})   # Add root directories of projects to build to the next line PROJECTS_TO_BUILD="test_baremetal Cyclone_V_ucos_port Cyclone_V_infra dbm2_infra dbm2_preloader dbm2_recovery"   retval=0 FAILED_PROJECTS=   TEMP_WORKSPACE_DIR=${CONFIGURATION_DIR}/workspace/headless_$$   pushd ${CONFIGURATION_DIR} > /dev/null   rm -fRv ${TEMP_WORKSPACE_DIR} mkdir -p -v ${TEMP_WORKSPACE_DIR}   ECHO $(date) Script directory: ${SCRIPT_DIR}, Configuration directory: ${CONFIGURATION_DIR} ... which eclipsec   ECHO Dump the environment with env env   # Import and clean the projects for project in ${PROJECTS_TO_BUILD} do ECHO "##teamcity[blockOpened name='importing ${project}']"   COMMAND_TO_RUN="eclipsec --launcher.suppressErrors -nosplash -application org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core.headlessbuild -data ${TEMP_WORKSPACE_DIR} -import /${CONFIGURATION_DIR}/${project}" ECHO Excecuting: ${COMMAND_TO_RUN} ${COMMAND_TO_RUN} lastRetval=$? if [ $retval -eq 0 ]; then retval=$lastRetval fi if [ $lastRetval -ne 0 ]; then FAILED_PROJECTS="${FAILED_PROJECTS} ${project}:failed to import" fi   ECHO "##teamcity[blockClosed name='importing ${project}']" done   # Now build the projects for project in ${PROJECTS_TO_BUILD} do ECHO "##teamcity[blockOpened name='building ${project}']"   COMMAND_TO_RUN="eclipsec --launcher.suppressErrors -nosplash -application org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core.headlessbuild -data ${TEMP_WORKSPACE_DIR} -build ${project}" ECHO Excecuting: ${COMMAND_TO_RUN} ${COMMAND_TO_RUN} lastRetval=$? if [ $retval -eq 0 ]; then retval=$lastRetval fi   if [ $lastRetval -ne 0 ]; then FAILED_PROJECTS="${FAILED_PROJECTS} ${project}:failed to build" fi   ECHO "##teamcity[blockClosed name='building ${project}']" done   rm -fRv ${TEMP_WORKSPACE_DIR}   ECHO =================================== ECHO Return value: $retval if [ "${FAILED_PROJECTS}" != "" ]; then ECHO Failed projects: ${FAILED_PROJECTS} fi ECHO ===================================   popd > /dev/null   exit $retval

Until now we did not yet try version 18.1 of NIOS II EDS on the virtual machine with TeamCity. Some software engineers are still busy to prepare this. They try to upgrade from older Altera versions to the latest version.

The targeted Altera chip for NIOS II EDS is e.g. Cyclone IV (part number EP4CE30F23C7N) and Cyclone V (5CGXFC5C7F23C8N).

0 Kudos
RGrot
Novice

In any case, I appreciate your answers and help. Thanks!

I expect that it has something to do with the integration between Altera tooling and DS5. Therefore I will investigate the settings on these pages:

* http://infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.arm.doc.dui0529m/pge1399635613963.html

* https://developer.arm.com/products/software-development-tools/license-management/resources/product-and-toolkit-configuration

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee
Hi, This is a complicated issue which might take long time to get resolved. I will find the correct person to assign this case to.
0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee
Hi, We apologies for not supporting the non-standard integration. Intel supports only standard integration. Please check the following document which will be helpful to create a successful bare-metal application: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_bm.pdf Regards.
0 Kudos
RGrot
Novice

Today we found a solution: Use eclipse itself in stead of the console version eclipsec. The same command-line options can be used, e.g:

I.s.o. using this:

COMMAND_TO_RUN="eclipsec --launcher.suppressErrors -nosplash -application org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core.headlessbuild -data ${TEMP_WORKSPACE_DIR} -build ${project}"

use this

COMMAND_TO_RUN="eclipse --launcher.suppressErrors -nosplash -application org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core.headlessbuild -data ${TEMP_WORKSPACE_DIR} -build ${project}"

This is related to case 00412336 on IPS (Intel Premier Support).