Intel® SoC FPGA Embedded Development Suite
Support for SoC FPGA Software Development, SoC FPGA HPS Architecture, HPS SoC Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems
461 Discussions

On Arria10, how to measure time from power-up

Yoels
Novice

On Arria10 that was build in Altera 20.1 environment, I have a startup sequence that includes SPL+UBoot 2020.04 and then after it a VxWorks image:

When the VxWorks image loads I want to add a note that says how much time it took the card to startup, how do I add that functionality? 

(for example which clock defines or functions should I call or use and how)

Thanks in advance, 

Yoels

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
mabdrahi
Employee

Hi Yoels,

Will check about your request on boot time measurement on booting.

Thank you,

Aliff

0 Kudos
mabdrahi
Employee

Hi Yoels,

Image below show example full booting flow.

POR--> uboot --> linux kernel --> filesystem

May i know, do you want to measure time taken from power-up to where?

Thank you,

Aliff

0 Kudos
Yoels
Novice

Hi Aliff, 

Thank you for your response.

The image you attached doesn't load on my browser for some reason. Anyway, there is no linux kernel and filesystem, I build a project using Uboot 2020.04 that loads a vxWorks image as the operating system (which also doesn't have a filesystem).

I want to know how much time it takes from when the Arria10 starts and gets power until the vxWorks image starts and is ready for the user to do stuff.

I can add relevant code on the vxWorks image and if needed also in the SPL part (the preloader part before the Uboot begins).

For example get timestamps from a relevant clock of the CPU and from there calculate the time difference or with some other method.

Thanks in advance for your help, 

Yoels

0 Kudos
mabdrahi
Employee

Hi Yoels,

Hi Yoels,

The booting time for uboot on an Arria 10 SoC FPGA can vary depending on factors such as the U-Boot version, configuration settings, and the specific hardware , booting source such NAND, QSPI, SDcard or etc and peripherals used. 

Rough estimation, uboot boots in a matter of seconds, often around 5-10 seconds.

but , the actual boot time can be longer or shorter depending on the complexity of your specific uboot, configuration and the functions needs to perform during booting.

To get a more accurate, measurement can made be using timestamp signals or debugging tools to measure the boot time for your particular setup.

I also need to figure out how to create a time stamp using uboot.

Intel does not support vxwork for this.

Thank you,

Aliff

0 Kudos
mabdrahi
Employee

Hi Yoels,

I found in uboot readme

Timestamp Support:

When CONFIG_TIMESTAMP is selected, the timestamp

(date and time) of an image is printed by image

commands like bootm or iminfo. This option is

automatically enabled when you select CONFIG_CMD_DATE .

Im not sure this is what you want.

Thank you,

Aliff

0 Kudos
Yoels
Novice

Hi Aliff,

Great, I'm checking what I can do with CONFIG_TIMESTAMP.

Thanks, Yoels

0 Kudos
mabdrahi
Employee

Hi Yoels,

On my end, the timestamps are all visible in my booting log.

Considering that Intel has never supported vxwork, if your problem persist,

you may contact vxwork forum https://www.windriver.com/products/vxworks

mabdrahi_0-1698131798942.png

Thank you,

Aliff

0 Kudos
mabdrahi
Employee

Hi Yoels,

Do you have anymore question?

Can I close this case?

Thank you,

Aliff

0 Kudos
mabdrahi
Employee

Hi Yoels,

As we do not receive any response from you on the previous question/reply/answer that we have provided. Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions

Thank you,

Aliff

0 Kudos