Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX)
Discussion board focused on hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide extended code protection in solutions.

DCAP/ECDSA and IAS

ArminD
Beginner

Hello,

I was wondering the following: If I have a processor which only supports ECDSA attestation, like a 3rd gen Xeon scalable processor, can I still use the Intel Attestation Service for quote verification (which I currently use for the EPID attestation)?

The documents I read used phrases like "can/may use your own attestation service", but nothing like "must". On the other hand, the Intel Attestation Service API description (https://api.trustedservices.intel.com/documents/sgx-attestation-api-spec.pdf) has 55 occurrences of the word "EPID" but 0 occurrences of the word "ECDSA". I currently have no access to a newer 3rd gen Xeon scalable processor, and thus cannot easily verify it by experimentation (I think). So, I was hoping to get some definite answer from Intel like "You can/cannot use the Intel Attestation Service to verify an ECDSA quote. Using a custom attestation service is optional/obligatory."

(I understand that I am losing some privacy guarantees when using ECDSA quotes.)

Thank you for your time!

Armin

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
JesusG_Intel

Hello Armin,

In a DCAP environment, the Intel Attestation Services (IAS) does not verify the enclave. IAS is used to verify enclaves only for EPID-based attestation.

For ECDSA attestation, the service provider must build their own attestation service using the DCAP primitives. The service provider/relying party verifies the SGX platform using the DCAP Quote Verification Library.

For DCAP, the Intel Provisioning Certification Service provides PCK certificates, TCB info, revocation lists, and quoting enclave identity to the service provider so that the service provider can perform the attestation.

The Intel DCAP Product Brief explains how all these pieces fit together.

Sincerely,

Jesus G.

Intel Customer Support

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JesusG_Intel

Hello Armin,

In a DCAP environment, the Intel Attestation Services (IAS) does not verify the enclave. IAS is used to verify enclaves only for EPID-based attestation.

For ECDSA attestation, the service provider must build their own attestation service using the DCAP primitives. The service provider/relying party verifies the SGX platform using the DCAP Quote Verification Library.

For DCAP, the Intel Provisioning Certification Service provides PCK certificates, TCB info, revocation lists, and quoting enclave identity to the service provider so that the service provider can perform the attestation.

The Intel DCAP Product Brief explains how all these pieces fit together.

Sincerely,

Jesus G.

Intel Customer Support

ArminD
Beginner

Thank you, this provides all the information I needed. Have a nice day!

0 Kudos
JesusG_Intel

This thread has been marked as answered and Intel will no longer monitor this thread. If you want a response from Intel in a follow-up question, please open a new thread.

0 Kudos