Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX)
Discussion board focused on hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide extended code protection in solutions.

How to understand an ECALL with [out] parameter?

jason_t_
Beginner

In Intel's SGX developer guide https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/696463, it mentions that:

[out] – when [out] is specified for a pointer argument, the parameter is returned from the called procedure to the calling procedure. In an ECALL function an out parameter is passed from the enclave to the application and an OCALL function passes it from the application to the enclave.

I am having some trouble understanding the ECALL with an [out] parameter. First of all, isn't ECALL defined to be a function call from outside the enclave to a function inside the enclave? Then how could a parameter be passed from the enclave to the application?

Second of all, it said the parameter is returned from the called procedure, how come a parameter can be returned?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Rodolfo_S_
New Contributor III

Hi, Jason.

I am having some trouble understanding the ECALL with an [out] parameter. First of all, isn't ECALL defined to be a function call from outside the enclave to a function inside the enclave? Then how could a parameter be passed from the enclave to the application?

Second of all, it said the parameter is returned from the called procedure, how come a parameter can be returned?

An ECALL means that the function will be executed inside an enclave. The [out] parameter means that it will be returned to the function call outside the enclave. See the example below:

// enclave.edl file
enclave {
    trusted {
        public void sum_pointers([in] int *p_int1, [in] int *p_int2, [out] int *p_result);
    };
};

// enclave.cpp file
void sum_pointers( int *p_int1, int *p_int2, int *p_result)
{
    *p_result = *p_int1 + *p_int2;
}

//app.cpp file
int main(){
    int int1 = 5, int2 = 10, result;
    sum_pointers( &int1, &int2, &result);
    printf("%d + %d = %d", int1, int2, result);
}

In this example, we have p_int1 and p_int2 as [in] parameters, while p_result is an [out] parameter. The function sum_pointers is an ECALL, therefore it will be executed inside the enclave. The parameters p_int1 and p_int2 are passed into the enclave, and the parameter p_result is passed from the enclave to the application after it is executed; it works as a return of the function.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Rodolfo_S_
New Contributor III

Hi, Jason.

I am having some trouble understanding the ECALL with an [out] parameter. First of all, isn't ECALL defined to be a function call from outside the enclave to a function inside the enclave? Then how could a parameter be passed from the enclave to the application?

An ECALL means that the function will be executed inside an enclave. The [out] parameter means that it will be returned to the function call outside the enclave. See the example below:

// enclave.edl file
enclave {
    trusted {
        public void sum_pointers([in] int *p_int1, [in] int *p_int2, [out] int *p_result);
    };
};

// enclave.cpp file
void sum_pointers( int *p_int1, int *p_int2, int *p_result)
{
    *p_result = *p_int1 + *p_int2;
}

//app.cpp file
int main(){
    int int1 = 5, int2 = 10, result;
    sum_pointers( &int1, &int2, &result);
    printf("%d + %d = %d", int1, int2, result);
}

In this example, we have p_int1 and p_int2 as [in] parameters, while p_result is an [out] parameter. The function sum_pointers is an ECALL, therefore it will be executed inside the enclave. The parameters p_int1 and p_int2 are passed into the enclave, and the parameter p_result is passed from the enclave to the application after it is executed; it works as a return of the function.

0 Kudos
Huorong_L_
New Contributor I

Hi, Jason.

ECall/OCall has nothing to do with In/Out. They are relative to different situation.

ECall/OCall is relative to enclave: ECall means jumping into enclave while OCall means jumping out of enclave.

In/Out is relative to the function: In means parameter passing into the function while Out means parameter returning from the function.

0 Kudos
jason_t_
Beginner

I appreciate your answers, I understand it now.

0 Kudos