Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX)
Discussion board focused on hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide extended code protection in solutions.

Intel SGX SDK fails to install Visual Studio template

Abbey_C_
Beginner

Good morning everyone,

​I am very new to Intel SGX and have just installed the Intel SGX SDK on my computer. I am running Visual Studio 2012 Professional and it was my understand that the Intel SGX SDK installer would install a Visual Studio template, making it easy to get started. Alas, no such template was installed :-( Can anyone help me get started? Is there a template I can download somewhere, or a sample project? Any help would be appreciated.

regards,
Abbey

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Surenthar_S_Intel

Hi Cedric,

The 1.1 SDK supports Microsoft Visual Studio* 2012 Professional/Ultimate Edition only/Intel® Parallel Studio XE for Windows* Version 2013 Initial Release ​.

Please follow the below procedure:

1. Install the Intel PSW Software, then install the Intel SGX SDK

2. Install the Microsoft Visual Studio* 2012 Professional/Ultimate Edition only/Intel® Parallel Studio XE for Windows* Version 2013 Initial Release ​for developing SGX Enhanced application.

Thanks and Regards,

Surenthar Selvaraj

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Francisco_C_Intel

After installing the SDK, the directory

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\IntelSGXSDK\src

should contain some sample projects.

What version of the SDK do you have?

If you are not getting the Wizards that are described in the

"Using Microsoft* Visual Studio* Intel® Software Guard Extensions Wizard"

section of the documentation, you can try re-installing the SDK. I am not aware of any issues with this feature.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Surenthar_S_Intel

Hi Abbey,

Could you please check the template under Visual C++. PFA for your reference.

If its not there could you please reinstall the Intel SGX SDK on your machine and check.

Thanks,

Surenthar Selvaraj

0 Kudos
Charlotte_P_
Beginner

Hello Abbey,

I have the same problem (with Visual Studio 2015 & Intel SGX SDK version 1.1.30214.81). I tried to reinstall the sdk, but nothing changed.
Have you resolved your problem ?

Regards,

Charlotte

0 Kudos
Francisco_C_Intel

Charlotte,

The 1.1 SDK does not support VS2015. I believe it only supports VS2012.

0 Kudos
Surenthar_S_Intel

Hi Charlotte,

The 1.1 SDK supports Microsoft Visual Studio* 2012 Professional/Ultimate Edition only.

Please refer the release notes of Intel SGX SDK for your reference

https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/d1/0a/Intel-SGX-SDK-Release-Notes-for-Windows-OS.pdf

0 Kudos
Charlotte_P_
Beginner

Thank you! I guess I read too quickly.

Is there any SDK version compatible with any free Visual Studio version (Express/Community) ?

0 Kudos
Francisco_C_Intel

VS2012 Express does not support Addons/Plugins, so it won't work.

You should be able to manually modify the project file instead of using a Wizard/Plugin (use one of the sample projects as starting point).

The actual compilation/linking should work. I don't think the debugger will.

0 Kudos
Charlotte_P_
Beginner

Does it work with Visual Studio Premium 2012 ?
I saw on internet that this is a version between Pro & Ultimate (here : http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/news/visual-studio-2012-editions-comparison), and I have the possibility to get it by my school.

0 Kudos
Francisco_C_Intel

It should (but I haven't tried it)

0 Kudos
Cedric_W_1
Beginner

Reporting the same issue as Abbey. Installed Visual Studio  professional

Installed Intel SGX PSW for Windows v1.1.30214.81 from https://registrationcenter.intel.com/en/forms/?productid=2614.

Experienced the same issue : It did not install the visual studio add-in as expected.

I figured out I also needed to install SGXSDK on top of SGX PSW.

Cedric

0 Kudos
Surenthar_S_Intel

Hi Cedric,

The 1.1 SDK supports Microsoft Visual Studio* 2012 Professional/Ultimate Edition only/Intel® Parallel Studio XE for Windows* Version 2013 Initial Release ​.

Please follow the below procedure:

1. Install the Intel PSW Software, then install the Intel SGX SDK

2. Install the Microsoft Visual Studio* 2012 Professional/Ultimate Edition only/Intel® Parallel Studio XE for Windows* Version 2013 Initial Release ​for developing SGX Enhanced application.

Thanks and Regards,

Surenthar Selvaraj

0 Kudos
Francisco_C_Intel

Charlotte: I tried VS2012 Premium RTM and with Update5 on a clean Windows7x64 SP1 VM. The SGX 1.1 SDK installed with no issues and integrated with VS.

Cedric: As you noted, if you want Visual Studio integration you need to install the SDK. The PSW contains the runtime, not the development components. The development components are included in the SDK.

0 Kudos
glenn_t_
Beginner
just built a new machine and apparently Microsoft is only distributing vs 2017. I just got the community edition. Is there a way to create an SGX project without using the templates? This is is there a sample project that would show me the include directories and libraries? Thanks
0 Kudos
glenn_t_
Beginner
I am just trying to get started with experimenting with SGX. I built a new computer and can only get VS 2017. I tried installing the SDK but really got nothing. I understand it only creates the template for VS, and 2017 isn't supported. Where do I get include files, etc? I saw a post that there is sample code in the Program Files(x86)\Intel directory but I don't see anything close. Is there something else I need to install? Where might I get a sample project I can modify? Thanks
0 Kudos
Anusha_K_Intel
Employee

Hi,

After installing the SGX SDK you will find the sample code in C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\IntelSGXSDK\src folder and the include files are present in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\IntelSGXSDK\include folder.

0 Kudos
glenn_t_
Beginner
I am so sorry, I did not install correctly and could not find it. With a correct install I did port a project into vs 2017 and it ran. I have also been able to install it on a laptop that has visual studio 2015 and it seems to have the template.
0 Kudos
dawra__saurabh
Beginner

Hi All

I have installed SDK 2.2 and have the sample programs in Program files (x86)/Intel. I cannot find any template for SGX SDK in Visual Studio 2015 pro and Visual Studio 2017 pro. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks and Regards

Saurabh Dawra

0 Kudos
dawra__saurabh
Beginner

Hi

I have successfully installed the SGX SDK (version 2.2.103.49302) and also have the sample code in program files(x86)/Intel SGX SDK/src. I cannot find any template in VS2015 pro and VS 2017 community version. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks and Regards

Saurabh Dawra

0 Kudos