Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX)
Use hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide more code protection in your solutions.

Intel TSX and SGX are not working together

JWChang
Beginner

Hello,

I am trying to use Intel TSX (RTM) 'xbegin' and 'xend' instruction in the SGX Enclave.

But, whenever I tried, it always goes to 'abort' region. 

Does the TSX Instructions no longer available in the SGX Enclave? 

If the Micro-code is patched to not allow TSX instructions, is there any way to downgrade the micro-code patch or sth?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What processor do you have?

JWChang
Beginner

I use Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8500 CPU @ 3.00GHz

JesusG_Intel

Hello JWChang,

I recommend you read this article, https://software.intel.com/security-software-guidance/api-app/deep-dives/deep-dive-intel-transaction... which contains info on TSX and SGX.

amy-zhang
Beginner

It seems that  Intel TSX would abort inside the enclave in the hyperthreading-enabled processor.  Is this statement correct?

Another question is: will Intel enable TSX inside the enclave in the future?

Thanks a lot!

amy-zhang
Beginner

It seems that  Intel TSX would abort inside the enclave in the hyperthreading-enabled processor due to the TAA vulnerability.  Is this statement correct?

Another question is: will Intel enable TSX inside the enclave in the future?

Thanks a lot!

JesusG_Intel

Hello amy-zhang,

I don't know enough about Intel TSX, TAA, and HT to answer your question. Please try asking your question in the Processors Community.

Regarding your second question, we cannot comment on future roadmaps.

Regards,

Jesus G.

Intel Customer Support

JesusG_Intel

Intel is no longer monitoring this thread. If you want a response from Intel in a follow-up question, please open a new thread.