Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grigory_M_
Beginner

Software controlled SGX

The BIOS of the motherboard (Asus z170 BIOS 3101) supports software controlled SGX. so, to use the SGX, it should be first activated by the software. I would expect that PSW installer should activate it, however, it does not have that functionality. It also does not export sgx_cap_enable_device/sgx_enable_device functions.

What should be the procedure to activate the SGX in this case? Are there any utilities/UEFI roms to activate it?

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AArya2
New Contributor I

What's Software Controlled SGX?

(Sorry if the notification gave you the impression that this would be an answer :p)

sgx_enable_device is exposed in sgx_uae_service.dll

The SampleEnclave, for example, calls this API. The idea is that the PSW can be installed on systems where SGX isn't yet enabled. End-user applications that will actually use SGX functionality can enable it during their installation (sgx_cap_enable_device), or at runtime (sgx_enable_device).

Note that a restart is required afterwards.

Grigory_M_
Beginner

Thanks, Francisco!

I was referring to the Linux SGX SDK. Is there any specification of what sgx_enable_device implementation in Windows SGX SDK does, so I could implement that functionality by myself, if no tool exists? 

I don't believe so. Can you go to the BIOS and set SGX to ENABLED manually?

Grigory_M_
Beginner

The BIOS only contains "software-controlled" SGX, no "Enabled" option.

Rodolfo_S_
New Contributor III

Hi, Grigory.

I believe this is still not available on the Linux SDK. What you could do is install a virtual machine with Windows and enable it from there.

Kobi_G_
Beginner

Facing the same issue. Have Z170-A, confirmed that SGX exists on the CPU using CPUID, have only "software controlled" option for SGX in the bios. Is "sgx_enable_device" possible to call from Linux yet? Will a VM method even work?

Please see

https://github.com/01org/linux-sgx/pull/107

I don't think it's been merged yet, but you should be able to use that to unblock your progress.

Thanks,

Francisco