Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX)
Discussion board focused on hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide extended code protection in solutions.

[eHSM-KMS] How is the remote attestation realized?

T_Tsuga
Beginner

Hello everyone,

I am developing a system using eHSM-KMS.

In the process, I am currently having trouble understanding how the remote attestation works.

I have added logs to the eHSM-KMS source code to investigate remote attestation,
  The only thing I could figure out is that it is using SSL communication between DkeyServer and DkeyCache using OpenSSH.

We also could only find that the self-certification function (tee_get_certificate_with_evidence) generated an error (SGX_OL_NETWORK_ERROR:0xe019) when the PCCS server did not exist.

What kind of communication is going on between PCCServer, DkeyServer and DkeyCache?

What I would like to know is as follows.
     When does eHSM-KMS communicate with the PCCS server?
     What is passed when communicating with the PCCServer and what is obtained as a result?

Regards,.
 T_Tsuga

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Iffa_Intel

Hi,

generally, attestation is the process of demonstrating that a software executable has been properly instantiated on a platform that allows a remote party to gain confidence that the intended software is securely running within an enclave on a fully patched, Intel SGX enabled platform.

This GitHub page has explanation of an End-to-End Distributed and Scalable Cloud KMS (Key Management System) built on top of Intel SGX enclave-based HSM (Hardware Security Module), aka eHSM. This might help to answer your question.

Cordially,

Iffa

0 Kudos
T_Tsuga
Beginner

Hello Iffa_Intel,

Thank you for your answer.
 I checked the site you mentioned.
 I understood that this is also a product of Intel Corporation.
 I would like to ask some questions about this eHSM-KMS.
 If you know, please let me know if there is an appropriate contact for this.

Regards, T_Tsuga

0 Kudos
Iffa_Intel

Hi,

While EHSM is an Intel product, the support team on the EHSM Github is the appropriate contact to answer your questions. You can open a Github Issues thread here: https://github.com/intel/ehsm/issues

Cordially,

Iffa

0 Kudos
Iffa_Intel

Hi,

Intel will no longer monitor this thread since we have provided a solution. If you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question. 

Cordially,

Iffa