Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.

Intel MPI for icx

nka
Beginner

Hello,

I wonder if the new Intel LLVM Compilers will support the Intel MPI Library out of the box with the MPI wrappers (something like mpiicx). Right now oneAPI ships with MPI using classic compilers. In the documentation, I could not find information if and when there will be a transition.

Maybe you can give some information about the planned transition since we are now refactoring our code to work with the new compilers.

Best wishes

Niklas

0 Kudos
1 Solution
VarshaS_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for posting in Intel Communities.

We can specify the LLVM compiler as -{cc,cxx,fc}=<compiler> option(<compiler> = icx/icpx/dpcpp) and use it with Intel MPI code. 

Please find the below format:

mpiicc -cc=icx sample.c

mpiicpc -cxx=icpx sample.cpp

mpiicpc -cxx=dpcpp sample.cpp 

For more details, please find the below link for compilation command options of Intel MPI code using LLVM compilers.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/mpi-developer-reference-linux/top/command-reference/compiler-commands/compilation-command-options.html#compilation-command-options_GUID-7D5FF697-C49D-4D40-92C0-8FEBE4C1BFF5

Thanks & Regards,

Varsha

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
VarshaS_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for posting in Intel Communities.

We can specify the LLVM compiler as -{cc,cxx,fc}=<compiler> option(<compiler> = icx/icpx/dpcpp) and use it with Intel MPI code. 

Please find the below format:

mpiicc -cc=icx sample.c

mpiicpc -cxx=icpx sample.cpp

mpiicpc -cxx=dpcpp sample.cpp 

For more details, please find the below link for compilation command options of Intel MPI code using LLVM compilers.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/mpi-developer-reference-linux/top/command-reference/compiler-commands/compilation-command-options.html#compilation-command-options_GUID-7D5FF697-C49D-4D40-92C0-8FEBE4C1BFF5

Thanks & Regards,

Varsha

0 Kudos
nka
Beginner

Dear Varsha,

thank you very much for your answer. This works for us.

Nevertheless is there something like mpiicx planned? I think it is a bit confusing to use it this way because mpiicc suggests that the classic compiler is used, but one overrides it by setting the actual compiler driver. But maybe I am a bit too conservative on the naming here.

Best wishes

Niklas

0 Kudos
liulp
Beginner

Thank Varsha and nka.

And for newbie here:

the mpi version is still 2021.9.0, which is earlier than the icx and icpx. We can create our "own" mpi executables.

cp -a mpiicc mpiicx

and `vim mpiicx`, modify the line 118 to CC="icx"

cp -a mpiicpc mpiicpx

CXX="icpx"

0 Kudos
VarshaS_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for accepting our solution and for your valuable feedback.

We have provided your feedback to the relevant team. At this moment, there is no visibility of when it will be implemented and available for use. Please let me know if we can go ahead and close this case?

Thanks & Regards,

Varsha

0 Kudos
nka
Beginner

Dear Varsha,

sure, you can close the issue. Thank you very much for the support.

Best wishes

Niklas

0 Kudos
VarshaS_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for the confirmation.

If you need any additional information, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Thanks & Regards,

Varsha

0 Kudos