Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

Embedding manifest in custom build DLL

pat726627
Beginner
Hi,

I have successfully created a user DLL with the MKL custom DLL builder. Apart from the user_mkl.dll, I also found a manifest output user_mkl.dll.manifest. Is there any way to embed the manifest information inside the custom build DLL? Do I need to include the manifest file when I redistribute the custom build DLL? I am using Windows XP SP2 with VS2005 SP1.

Thanks heaps!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Andrey_G_Intel2
Employee
This is common question - how to add manifest into executable. You can find a lof of information about this topic in internet by yourself. Here is main idea:
1. In Visual Studio 2005, open the user_mkl.dll file. A tree view is displayed.
2. Click the user_mkl.dll node, and then click Add Resource.
3. In the Add Resource dialog box, click Import, locate the user_mkl.dll.manifest file, and then click Open.
4. In the Custom Resource Type dialog box, type RT_MANIFEST, and then click OK.
5. In the Properties panel, change the value of the ID property from "101" to "1".
Note If you want to verify that the XML in the manifest is correct, double-click the manifest in the tree view to see the binary. The ASCII data appears.
6. On the File menu, click Save All.
Andrey
0 Kudos
pat726627
Beginner
Thanks Andrey! That would work... that will be even better if the manifest has already embedded in the user_mkl.dll once it is produced by the custom DLL builder :) currently there is no input argument supporting this, need a self-hack...?
0 Kudos
Andrey_G_Intel2
Employee

Yes, right now dll builder doesn`t have ability to generate and integrate manifest file into resulting dll. You always can submit feature request via premier.intel.com :-)

Andrey

0 Kudos
Todd_R_Intel
Employee

I've submittedthe request on your behalf. If and when we implement it, we'll let you know. Of course I recommend that you submit an issue at Intel premier support if you want to be sure to be notified when feature requests are implemented.

Todd

0 Kudos
h_1
Beginner
the above solution did not work for me on MKL 10.0.3.21. But I found those useful lines at the end of ia32 section in the makefile of MKL 10.0.021:

##Embed the manifest into dll, according to description on msdn:
##http://msdn2.microsoft.com/de-de/library/ms235591(VS.80).aspx
@mt -manifest $(name).dll.manifest -outputresource:$(name).dll;2

This worked perfectly for me. May it helps someone...
0 Kudos