Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

INTEL MKL

sahgal__vardaan
Beginner

Hi

I am new to intel .  i have downloaded intel cluster parallel Xe studio-2019 update 4    i have few simple queries

1  how to find out the version of intel mkl libs installed.  from command line or otherwise

2 what is MKL installed <MKL directory> and <MKL PATH>

3   why is the "export BLA_VENDOR=Intel10_64ilp"  used ? what is i10 in intel ?

4 what is the appropriate command in  my case fro Intel10_ilp.

thanks in anticipation

vs

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Gennady_F_Intel

you could look into the header file - mkl_version.h  and see there something like the following: #define __INTEL_MKL__ 2020 
#define __INTEL_MKL_MINOR__ 0 and #define __INTEL_MKL_UPDATE__ 0

regarding installation - check this documentation - https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-math-kernel-library-intel-mkl-2020-install-guide

You also need to learn more follow this link either: from https://software.intel.com/en-us/get-started-with-mkl-for-windows

BLA_VENDOR  - MKL doesn't support CMAKE at the moment. You need to set the env. variables by mklvars.bat scripts ( refer to the user's guide)

0 Kudos
sahgal__vardaan
Beginner

thanks Gennady.  but why is BLA_  used

what does it mean.

2 you mean it's irrelevant if we are using Ubuntu 

thanks

vs

0 Kudos
Gennady_F_Intel

BLA_VENDOR variable s used by CMake. You could use CMake to build your application, but you need to set these variables accordingly with your local setting. it is relevant to all supported OSs. 

but our recommendation to you - just to check mkl's getting started materials and/or to check mkl's examples to see how to build and run MLK's examples.

0 Kudos
sahgal__vardaan
Beginner

@ Gennay

1 What should i do if I am using intel 2019 to set variables ..  is BLA_VENDOR    is it correct BLA_VENDOR=intel2019_ipl64 if i am using 2019 mkl libraries

2 what is the essential difference between ifort and mpifort ? do we have send set separate environment settings for mpiifort ?

3   i have used following settings in my bash file

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/opt/intel/parallel_studio_xe_2019.4.243/lib/intel64

export MANPATH="/opt/intel/man"

source /opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2019.4.243/linux/mpi/intel64/bin/mpivars.sh

source /opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2019.4.243/linux/mkl/bin/mklvars.sh intel64 ilp64 mod

are these correct if I am working with mpiifort ?

4  how find out path for mpiifort libraries ?

5  can "-mkl" flag work with mpiifort or we have to use "-mkl=cluster"

6 i am compiling arpack. after compilation it creates 2 directories arpack.dir and parpack . while compiling i used mpiifort. why are 2 directories created and which one should i use ? i guess parpack is parallel ... cab both be used or we have to use according to the compiler used

sit

the questions are elementary but for a fresher like me its important to understand before i start working.

reagrds

vs

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Please consult manuals, textbooks and other sources and acquire the basic knowledge that you need.

Sometimes, people respond to requests of the kind in this thread by a rather rude comment, "RTFM" (please don't ask me to explain what it means!). It is best to avoid eliciting such a response by being too insistent. Intel personnel are quite generous but also busy, and we should respect the value of their time.

0 Kudos
Gennady_F_Intel

Sahgal,

1. Yes, you could set CL_VENDOR=intel_ilp64
  2. mpifort is just wrapper to compile and/or link MPI programs by using Intel Fortran Compiler
  3. yes, these settings look correct
  4. which mpiifort
  5. -mkl=cluster
  6. ....
0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

mecej4 wrote:

Please consult manuals, textbooks and other sources and acquire the basic knowledge that you need.

Sometimes, people respond to requests of the kind in this thread by a rather rude comment, "RTFM" (please don't ask me to explain what it means!). It is best to avoid eliciting such a response by being too insistent. Intel personnel are quite generous but also busy, and we should respect the value of their time.

I always thought it meant Read the First Manual. 

Compaq computers used to have a pamphlet in the boxes that said you == have to read this first. 

0 Kudos