Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

Intel C++ compiler for Microsoft Visual Community 2015

Farzad_E_
Beginner

I am new to MKL. I installed Visual Community 2015 as Intel MKL  warned that it could not find supported compilers. Then I installed the Intel MKL. I was expecting Visual Community to be configured properly to use the Intel compiler. But if I go to  

Tools/Options/Intel Compilers and Tools/C++/Compilers

I see that "There are no Intel C++ compilers installed"

I believe this needs to be fixed before I could use the MKL. Please advise.

Thanks

Farzad

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Shaojuan_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi Farzad,

Was MKL installed successfully? If not, you may follow these steps https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-math-kernel-library-intel-mkl-compiling-and-linking-with-microsoft-visual-cc to install again. Let us know if you have further questions. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Farzad_E_
Beginner

Yes, MKL was installed successfully. 

I was able to compile MKL and run a test by doing:

- In Solution/Properties/Configuration Properties/Configuration/Platform: select x64 
    - In Project/Properties/Configuration Properties/Intel Performance Libraries/Use Intel MKL libarary: select parallel

However, I still don't see an intel C++ compiler listed. Is this setup using MSVC for compiling then? If so, is the code still optimized?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Ying_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Farzad,

MKL don't  depend on Intel C++ compiler.  It  should  work with either Microsoft C/C++ Compiler  or Intel C++ compiler. 

As you install Microsoft Visual Community 2015 and be able to run a test, I suppose you had MKL and Microsoft C/C++ compiler ready.  And Yes, even with Microsoft C/C++ compiler, the MKL  is ready-binary, all MKL-related optimized are already in themselves.  

Do you hope to use Intel C++ Compiler with other code optimization (other no-mkl code)?  Then you need to install  the product with name like " Intel Parallel studio Composer XE for windows", which includes both Intel C++ compiler and MKL.  More details and try information is available at  https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-parallel-studio-xe/details

Best Regards,

Ying

0 Kudos