Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

Intel MKL + ATL DLL Register Error 32-bit vs 64-bit

Mullins__Brian
Beginner

Hello,

I am trying to write a dll (ALT/COM) in Visual Studio 2010 for use in Excel/VBA. My development system specs are as follows:

• Operating System: Windows 7 (64-bit)
  • Development Environment: Visual Studio 2010
  • Intel MKL Version: 10.3.4

I should mention that even though my development computer is 64-bit, I am compiling (on purpose) a 32-bit dll.

Everything works fine on my development box (I can compile, register, reference and use the dll in Excel/VBA), but when I try register the dll on another user's computer (Windows 7, 32-bit), regsvr32 gives me the error 'The module "myname.dll" failed to load'. I am running regsvr32 from an elevated command promp and I have installed the VC++ 2010 runtime libraries on the user's computer. I have also copied the Intel MKL redist directory ("C:\\Program Files\\Intel\\ComposerXE-2011\\redist") on the user's computer and added "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Intel\\ComposerXE-2011\\redist\\ia32" to the system's PATH environment variable. Thinking that I may have missed a reference, I ran "Dependancy Walker" on my dll and saw that it is referencing the 64-bit version of MKL_INTEL_THREAD.DLL and MKL_CORE.DLL. I have tried to find in Visual Studio 2010 a way to reference the 32-bit versions, but I don't see any options to do so. As I said, I am already compiling my dll as 32-bit (it says Win32 in Visual Studio) and I don't know what else to do. Does anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
If you are following the advice of the link advisor at the top of this forum for 32-bit link, and you still get apparent dependencies on the 64-bit MKL libraries, I suppose you could try hiding the 64-bit part of the MKL installation (move it to a renamed folder, zip it, ....) and see what happens with the build.
I'm not clear from your description whether you are setting paths for 32-bit MKL libraries in your Visual Studio additional dependencies.
If you continue to have difficulty, you might consider submitting a case including at least the files involved in your link step (should not need to include source) under your support account at premier.intel.com.
0 Kudos
Mullins__Brian
Beginner
Hello Tim,
Thanks for your reply and for your suggestion...it worked! I renamed the "Intel64" folder and recompiled my 32-bit DLL...Visual Studio used the 32-bit versions of the MKL DLLs. To answer your question, I did not explicitly set the paths for the MKL libraries in Visual Studio. I am using Visual Studio 2010 with the "built-in" MKL option (Project > Properties > Configuration Properties > Intel Performance Libraries > Use MKL > Parallel). I assume that this "built-in" option sets the paths to the MKL libraries behind the scenes, but there is no option for 32- vs 64-bit. Of course, when I used Visual Studio 2008, I had no choice but to set the paths manually and I had no issues. Perhaps the Visual Studio 2010 integration of the MKL libraries defaults to the type (32- or 64-bit) of operating system. If this is the case, I'd recommend that an additional option be added to allow the user to choose 32- or 64-bit libraries.
Cheers!
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...when I try register the dll on another user's computer (Windows 7, 32-bit), regsvr32 gives me the error 'The module >>"myname.dll" failed to load'... >>... >>...I ran "Dependancy Walker" on my dll and saw that it is referencing the 64-bit version of MKL_INTEL_THREAD.DLL and >>MKL_CORE.DLL. I have tried to find in Visual Studio 2010 a way to reference the 32-bit versions, but I don't see any >>options to do so. I consider it as a project configuration issue because 64-bit DLLs are referenced for the 32-bit application. You could try to use a different approach, like: ... #if defined ( _MKL_SUPPORT_ ) #include "mkl.h" #if ( defined ( _M_IX86 ) ) #pragma comment ( lib, "[ a path to 32-bit folder ]\mkl_rt.lib" ) #pragma comment ( lib, "[ a path to 32-bit folder ]\mkl_core.lib" ) #endif #if ( defined ( _M_X64 ) || defined ( _M_AMD64 ) || defined ( _M_IA64 ) ) #pragma comment ( lib, "[ a path to 64-bit folder ]\mkl_rt.lib" ) #pragma comment ( lib, "[ a path to 64-bit folder ]\mkl_core.lib" ) #endif #endif ... Also, you need to verify Visual Studio settings for Directories, like Include and Libraries.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
This is a follow up: Brian, did you resolve the problem?
0 Kudos
Mullins__Brian
Beginner

Hello Sergey,

Thanks for following-up on my question.  I have not tried your solution as I have moved on to other development projects (I had originally asked the question in 2011), but I agree with your assertion that it is indeed a configuration issue.  I was able to get things working as indicated in my comment on Thu, 06/02/2011 - 07:28----granted, this was not a very elegant way of resolving my issue. =)

Best regards,

Brian

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Regarding your solution: It is OK if it worked! Thanks for the confirmation that the problem is resolved.
0 Kudos