Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.
6980 Discussions

MKL 9.1 status, enhancements, performance

beau
Beginner
What is the release date for the final version of MKL 9.1.

Without downloading the beta materials could we get a list of what's new and the areas where performance have been enhanced.

Of particular interest is the status of DPOTRF and DGEMM as the performance of both in version 9.0 is not matching other implementations.

Much appreciated,
Beau Paisley
Harmonic Software, www.omatrix.com

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Intel_C_Intel
Employee

Beau,

Nice to hear from you - its been a long time. I have given up management of MKL and work 1/2 time so I have more time to attend to the forum.

MKL 9.1 is released today (Tuesday - June 5). Both DPOTRF and DGEMM have been greatly improved relative to MKL 9.0.

Bruce

0 Kudos
beaupaisley
Beginner
Bruce,
Thanks for the update, we look forward to trying the new version.

Glad to hear that you've cut back to half time, that sounds like a great balance. You still with the performance tools group in Hillsboro?

Also, I know it's not your responsibility but we registered MKL under an email that is now defunct and when I go to the registration site using my new password, (beau@omatrix.com) under which our other licenses are registered it says my MKL license is expired. I sent stuff to tech support a couple days ago, but still haven't received anything back.

beau

0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee

Beau,

I remain with MKL and am still in the process of defining how I can best contribute to the success of the product.

If you don't have resolution to the license issue in a day or two, let me know.

Bruce

0 Kudos
beaupaisley
Beginner
Bruce,
It might in the MKL release notes, but since I don't have access yet, do you know how the MKL fft/dft routines compare with the functional equivalents in the IPP library?

I have been reviewing the IPP release notes for 5.2, and disappointedly the FFT and DFT routines are still not multi-threaded. When I tried a year or so ago they seemed to provide top performance but I didn't have a concern for multithreading at the time.

thaks, beau

0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee

Beau,

When I started managing MKL in 1995, there were 4 libraries from Intel: IPL, SPL, RPL and BLAS.lib, which became MKL, a name I gave it. Each of these 4 libraries had a set of FFTs in it and they were all different. The functionality of IPL, SPL and RPL were superseded by IPP. Then we had only two FFT implementations, that for MKL and IPP. Several years ago we decided to have one set of kernels, those developed by the IPP team. So, within MKL are the IPP kernels. The performance will be very similar except insmaller sizes where some of the additional overhead of the MKL interface can have an impact.

So, with MKL there is richer functionality, including more wide spread threading and even cluster versions of the FFT, but with the high efficiency of the IPP kernels underneath.

Bruce

0 Kudos
Amanda_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

You can refer to the Intel Product Registration FAQ page for information regarding registration, licenses, accounts, and passwords.

For the specific error you see, you can submit the problem to https://registrationcenter.intel.com/Support/. Just click the Submit a Question tab and fill out the form.

Regards,

--Amanda

Intel Developer Support

0 Kudos