Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
6433 Discussions

MKL Blacs_gridmap stuck when called within in a function with MPI.

Viv
Novice

Hi everyone, 

I wrote the attached function that is called by some (not all) MPI processes grouped in different disjoint MPI communicators (COMM). The function simply multiplies input matrices A^t *B =C. The SubMatrix type is the following struct: 

struct SubMatrix
{
Matrix* M;
integer beg_row;
integer beg_col;
integer num_rows;
integer num_cols;
};
typedef struct SubMatrix SubMatrix;

whereas a Matrix is: 

struct Matrix
{
real *A;
integer num_rows;
integer num_cols;
};
typedef struct Matrix Matrix;

real is either double or float (in this case it is double). integer is either unsigned int or unsigned long.  

The main function correctly creates communicators COMM, int *IDs is an array containing the ids in MPI_COMM_WORLD of the processes that need to perform the matrix multiplication. They are required in order to initialize the imap array inside blacs_gridmap. 

I am running my code on a cluster and I compile as follows: 

mpiicc -std=c99 -O3 -qopenmp -DMKL_ILP64 -I${MKLROOT}/include main.c matrices.c -o mainDis -L${MKLROOT}/lib/intel64 -mkl -lmkl_scalapack_ilp64 -lmkl_intel_ilp64 -lmkl_intel_thread -lmkl_core -lmkl_blacs_intelmpi_ilp64 -liomp5 -lpthread -lm -ldl 

The function that I am attaching is inside file matrices.c. I am trying to run main.c with 8 processes and by doing so I expect processes 0 and 1 to create one communicator and to call the attached function, and similarly for processes 2 and 3. They correctly create communicators and assign values to nprow and npcol by calling MPI_Dims_create.  imap has the values that I expect (0 and 1 in one case, 2 and 3 in the other one). The program gets stuck after printing "before gridmap", when it should be executing blacs_gridmap(). 
Can you please help me see what am I doing wrong?

0 Kudos
0 Replies