Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.
6981 Discussions

Math Kernel Library installation in Ubuntu Edgy

Luis_M_3
Beginner
Hi All,
I am trying to install the MKL 8.1.014 (;atest version available from the intel download site) on Ubuntu edgy and after providing the serial number installation fails with the message

Setup may attempt to connect to the Intel Registration Center to
validate your Serial Number.
This may take several minutes depending on your network. Please wait...
You may press Ctrl+C to cancel.
./.././install/install: line 319: /tmp/install_temp.b2e82b47d7050f970d4314f569eaedca/install32: cannot execute binary file
Warning: It seems installation failed
Deleting temporary files...

I understand there is a problem with the install binary temporarily installed under tmp/install_temp.xxxxxx but beyond that I am clueless... I tried installing as root and as a normal user but the result is always the same ...

Any help on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Luis
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

It looks like you are perplexing most of us with your apparent lack of information.

MKL 9.0 has been on the download site for some time; I don't know what you are getting at by saying 8.1 is the latest.

Ubuntu is notorious for unusual paths for libraries, particularly on x86-64 (64-bit) OS.You might check whether that explains the problem. There may be an option in the install script to make a log file; you would have to examine the script, or file ainstallation problem reporton your premier.intel.com account, to activate it.

If you check the installation requirements, you will probably find no support for Ubuntu or other distros which may violate LSB (Linux standard). So you are responsible yourself for work-arounds when attempting to use LSB-dependent software.

It might seem reasonable to request (on your premier.intel.com) that the installation would give some reason for install failure, whether it might be inability to find gcc or binutils, inability to sort outa non-standardorganization of glibc, or some otherdiagnosed problem.

0 Kudos
connermclord
Beginner

Here are my installation notes from Intel MKL 9.0 on Ubuntu Edgy:

Register for a License and store the file from the mail in /opt/intel/licenses/eval.lic

Before you start the installer you have to do a few things:

sudo -i
cd /bin
rm sh
ln -s bash sh
apt-get install rpm
mkdir /var/lib/rpm
rpm --initdb

now extract your downloaded file:

tar xzf l_mkl_p_9.0.018.tgz
cd l_mkl_p_9.0.018
./install.sh

Don't enter the serial number, choose to select the file(1) and enter /opt/intel/licenses/eval.lic

Now the installer finishes with success (which is not correct)

Install the Files from the RPM manually:

cd /tmp/install_temp.*
rpm -U --replacefiles --nodeps -h intel-mkl-9.0p-18.i386.rpm

Now all files are installed under /opt/intel/mkl/9.0

Don't forget to restore your sh link:

cd /bin
rm sh
ln -s dash sh

Have fun,
Bernhard

PS: I have just installed successfully, I have not tried if all worked correctly!

0 Kudos
radimrehurek
Beginner
I'm having the same problem as Luis.. files 'install32' and 'installdata' get extracted to temp (no rpm!), and executing install32 fails with 'cannot execute binary file', as Luis described. Any ideas how to fix this? I'm installing thelatestfree Linux MKLfor x86_amd64 on Edgy, and found no helpful info on ubuntuforums.
0 Kudos