Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.
6956 Discussions

Mising MKL User Guide from online (VS-accessible) documents

Jugoslav_Dujic
Valued Contributor II

(Split from Visual Fortran Forum)

An important piece of MKL documentation is missing from the online help (the one accessible from Visual Studio) (as far as I can tell): an equivalent of userguide.pdf. In particular, its chapter 3 and the page "Layered Model Concept" is extremely important in order to get the linked MKL libraries right, but I don't see that information anywhere in the rest of the online help. For example, searching for "mkl_intel_thread.lib" in the online docs gives a plenty of false hits but I don't see it actually mentioned anywhere.

So, in order to get the information about MKL libraries to link, one must go through the hoops of browsing the documents from the Start Menu (which I ranted against in the above-linked thread). Please consolidate the documentation.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Gennady_F_Intel

Jugoslav,

Can you get the link on this broken doc? for the clarifying the question how to link Intel MKL, may be the MKL Linker Adviser will be useful for you.

--Gennady

0 Kudos
ArturGuzik
Valued Contributor I

Gennady,

the documentation (link) is not broken. The explanation on linking/layered libraries model is simply not included in help inside VS. So to find out more on technical details on how to link you need to refer to User's Guide, which means you need to find it on the disk (or have some shortcuts prepared). So Jugoslav's suggestion is (I'd agree with that) to add that portion to the help (available in VS and probably html help as well).

A.

0 Kudos
Jugoslav_Dujic
Valued Contributor II

Ah, MKL Linker Adviser... I stumbled upon it once and found it very useful, but forgot to bookmark it, and 6 months later I only vaguelly recalled that there was a wizard-like tool for the job somewhere, but couldn't locate it anumore.

Still, I think that a) the Linker Adviser should be either included on-disk and/or prominently linked from the documentation (preferrably Start menu/Programs/Intel...) and b) As Artur noted, none of the MKL User Guide is included in the VS online documentation, which was the point of my initial post.

0 Kudos
Gennady_F_Intel

Artur and Jugosalv, thanks for the feedback. I agree with both of you. The User Guide will be improved - this issue has been submitted to our internal development tracking database for further investigation, we will inform you once a new update becomes available.
Here is a bug tracking number for your reference: DPD200091451.

Regarding MKL Linker Adviser - we got similar request earlier and are going to add this opportunity the future release.

--Gennady
0 Kudos