Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

Need 64-bit version of mkl_link_tool in the DevCloud

Andras_A_
Beginner

I have a project on the DevCloud that uses MKL and is built with CMake. For convenience, CMake invokes `mkl_link_tool` to construct the link line. However, `mkl_link_tool` happens to be a 32-bit executable:

/glob/development-tools/versions/intel-parallel-studio/compilers_and_libraries_2019.3.199/linux$ file mkl/tools/mkl_link_tool
mkl/tools/mkl_link_tool: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-, for GNU/Linux 2.6.18, BuildID[sha1]=ec312866645ce227a0fd3b0aeabe20b1c9d7ba42, not stripped

and Ubuntu does not let it run. `bash` gives a very misleading error message, saying that the file could not be found.

The cure is to install the 32-bit compatibility layer package:

`sudo apt-get install lib32stdc++6`

but hey, I have no sudo privileges on the DevCloud :-)

Is there a quick workaround at the user level?

BTW, it's high time for `mkl_link_tool` grew up and gained an additional set of 32 bits which I am sure it deserves .:-)

Cheers, AA

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Gennady_F_Intel

yes, you are right, this is a 32-bit routine. I am not sure about the workaround with this case...only manually added the need libraries but this is not what you like to see as I guess.  Could you submit the official Feature Request to the Intel Online Service Center?

0 Kudos
Andras_A_
Beginner

Thank you for your reply. I will certainly submit a Feature Request as suggested.

However, a quick fix is needed ASAP. Would it be possible that a sysadmin installs the Ubuntu 32-bit compatibility layer on the DevCloud in the meantime? As far as I can tell the following commands are needed:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt update
sudo apt install libc6:i386

...but I leave it to the experts to figure out the details :-)

Many thanks, András

0 Kudos
Andras_A_
Beginner

Support request submitted, number is 04570427

0 Kudos
Spencer_P_Intel
Employee

Please note that MKL 2020 update 1 has 32bit and 64 bit binaries for the mkl_link_tool already.  They are found in mkl/tools/mkl_link_tool/{ia32/intel64} folders.

Spencer

0 Kudos
Gennady_F_Intel

2020.1 is not available for now. we will announce this release asap.

0 Kudos
Andras_A_
Beginner

Spencer P. (Intel) wrote:

Please note that MKL 2020 update 1 has 32bit and 64 bit binaries for the mkl_link_tool already.  They are found in mkl/tools/mkl_link_tool/{ia32/intel64} folders.

Spencer

Thank you, but that does not help me as I cannot install that on the DevCloud either :-)

0 Kudos
Andras_A_
Beginner

Gennady F. (Blackbelt) wrote:

2020.1 is not available for now. we will announce this release asap.

...and that's going to be the correct solution for this problem on the DevCloud. Many thanks!

0 Kudos
Gennady_F_Intel

mkl v. 2020 u1 has been released. 

0 Kudos
Andras_A_
Beginner

Gennady F. (Blackbelt) wrote:

mkl v. 2020 u1 has been released. 

Excellent news! Now some good soul should install it on the DevCloud... :-)

Thanks, András

0 Kudos