Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
6434 Discussions

New with the tool - I'm having some issues, with DftiCreateDescriptor. Help really appreciated

diegoarenas
Beginner
Hi all,

I'm coding an application using C# with Visual Studio 2008. I've been reading the documentation that came with the Intel Math Library...and some forums...but couldn't get an answer.

Scenario:

Attempting to statically-link MKL v9.x into a managed C++ DLL to calculate FFT, using Visual Studio 2008.

Linker command:

/OUT:"C:\\Projects\\Acquisition Toolkit\\Mainline\\\\Builds\\Debug\\AcquisitionToolkit.FFT.dll" /INCREMENTAL /NOLOGO /LIBPATH:"C:\\Projects\\Acquisition Toolkit\\Mainline\\\\Lib\\Win32" /DLL /MANIFEST /MANIFESTFILE:"Debug\\Win32\\AcquisitionToolkit.FFT.dll.intermediate.manifest" /MANIFESTUAC:"level='asInvoker' uiAccess='false'" /DEBUG /ASSEMBLYDEBUG /PDB:"c:\\Projects\\Acquisition Toolkit\\Mainline\\Builds\\Debug\\AcquisitionToolkit.FFT.pdb" /DYNAMICBASE /FIXED:No /NXCOMPAT /MACHINE:X86 /KEYFILE:"AcquisitionToolkit.snk" /ERRORREPORT:PROMPT mkl_c.lib mkl_ia32.lib libguide40.lib kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib uuid.lib odbc32.lib odbccp32.lib

Getting an unresolved external when linking:

1>FFT.obj : warning LNK4248: unresolved typeref token (0100000E) for 'DFTI_DFT_Desc_struct'; image may not run

At run-time, it crashes on the call to DftiCreateDescriptor, presumably because it didn't know the format of the descriptor struct:

// create the FFT descriptor

DFTI_DESCRIPTOR_HANDLE desc;

long val = DftiCreateDescriptor(&desc, DFTI_DOUBLE, DFTI_REAL, 1, length);

// commit the FFT descriptor

DftiCommitDescriptor(desc);

We are including the mkl_dfti.h header file. Are there additional header files we need or additional libraries we need to link with? Where is that descriptor struct actually defined?

I attempted to dynamically link using the mkl_c_dll.lib, but get the same unresolved external linker warning. Is there some other linker option I need?

Please if someone could give me some kind of guidance/help. I'd REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Vladimir_Koldakov__I
New Contributor III

Hi,

Please see examples of using MKL in C# code. The article contains a small suite including DFTI example. The first package Intel_MKL_C#_Examples.zip demonstrates how to build custom dll for calling MKL functionsfrom C#. Since MKL 10.3 its not required to build a custom DLL. The second package demonstrates using MKL 10.3.

Thanks,
Vladimir

diegoarenas
Beginner
Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for your answer. I've tried using those examples, but seems that they're not working for version 9.1. As I am not able to have the newer version...I need to make it work with this one.

I've tried doing

nmake ia32 MKLREDIST="C:\Documents and settings\myUser\desktop\Intel_MKL_C#_Examples"

nmake ia32 MKLROOT="C:\Documents and settings\myUser\desktop\Intel_MKL_C#_Examples"

nmake ia32 MKLROOT="C:\program files\intel\ml\9.1"

nmake ia32 MKLREDIST="C:\program files\intel\ml\9.1"

And I'm getting the same error message. Seems that for this version (9.1) there's no "mkl_intel_c_dll.lib" file. I've found that there's one called "mkl_c.lib". I was thinking that maybe that file is the same (but it's the 9.1 version), so I renamed it to "mkl_intel.....", and got another error. This time it's asking for another file "mkl_intel_thread_dll.lib", and I haven't found any "similar" file name for it.

I know that doing this is not going to fix the situation...but I've nochoice but to try it...is there anything else that I could do with it?

Thanks!!

Vladimir_Koldakov__I
New Contributor III
Hi Diego,

Please replace the makefile with the attached one. It works for ia32 target both on 32- and 64-bit OS for MKL 9.1. makefile

I believe the correct command line in your case should be:

nmake ia32 MKLROOT="C:\program files\intel\ml\9.1"

Thanks,
Vladimir

diegoarenas
Beginner

Hi,

After compiling with the makefile that you provided me, I attempted to use the DLL in my project. I'm still getting this warning which is :

Warning 1 warning LNK4248: unresolved typeref token (0100000E) for 'DFTI_DFT_Desc_struct'; image may not run

And the code stops working in the line marked with '-------->'

/*****************************************************************************

* FFT.cpp

*/

#include

#include "FFT.h"

START_NAMESPACE

/**

Compute the FFT

*/

void

FFT::Compute(array^ x, array^ y)

{

int length = x->Length;

if (y->Length != x->Length)

throw gcnew System::ArgumentException("FFT: arrays must be same length");

double* xx = new double[length];

for (int i = 0; i < length; i++)

xx = x;

double* yy = new double[length];

for (int i = 0; i < length; i++)

yy = y;

// create the FFT descriptor

DFTI_DESCRIPTOR_HANDLE desc;

--------> long val = DftiCreateDescriptor(&desc, DFTI_DOUBLE, DFTI_REAL, 1, length);

So would you please provide me the size of the data that the DFTI_DFT_Desc_struct is handling?

Do we need any additional header or lib file with the definition of the struct (DFTI_DFT_Desc_struct)?

Dmitry_B_Intel
Employee
Hi Diego,

The issue is related to /clr (managed C++) and is explained in various places on Internet, for example here: http://www.dotnet247.com/247reference/msgs/1/7811.aspx. Rewording the reply of Anson Tsao from MS for our context:

The problem is because struct DFTI_DFT_Desc_struct{} is not defined in the header files. To fix the problem define it your sources (e.g. stdafx.h):

struct DFTI_DFT_Desc_struct {};

More info: DFTI_DESCRIPTOR_HANDLE is defined as typedef struct DFTI_DFT_Desc_struct *DFTI_DESCRIPTOR_HANDLE; for typesafety. In native C++, not having struct DFTI_DFT_Desc_struct defined is not a problem, but in managed C++ functions it will throw TypeLoadException when the CLR is trying to resolve struct DFTI_DFT_Desc_struct *.

I hope this will helpyou. In particular, for a quick workaround you should add the definition somewhere inthe clr-compiled code, as follows:

Option 1.Add the following definition in the global namespace (e.g. just after#include "mkl_dfti.h"):

[cpp]struct DFTI_DFT_Desc_struct {};[/cpp]

Option 2. Modify mkl_dfti.h for clr-compilation by adding the following three lines just before the first line mentioning DFTI_DFT_Desc_struct:

[cpp]#if defined(__cplusplus_cli)
struct DFTI_DFT_Desc_struct {};
#endif[/cpp]

Thanks
Dima