Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
6427 Discussions

Pardiso only uses 2 cpu cores out of 4

S__MPay
Beginner

I am running a Pardiso solver but it only uses two cores out of 4 cores.

I read the documentations but I cannot find any solution.

I set windows environmental variables MKL_NUM_THREADS = 4 and OMP_NUM_THREADS = 4 but still number of OpenMP threads is 2.

I would appreciate if you could give me some hint on how to solve this problem?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
TimP
Black Belt

You could look up your CPU at ark.intel.com (if it is an Intel CPU) to be certain that there are 4 cores.  If it is a 2-core CPU with HyperThreading, like the one I am using, the behavior you describe is the normal default, as using 4 threads is expected to be slower than 1 thread pinned to each core while taking advantage of your simd architecture.  If you wish to check it, read up on MKL_DYNAMIC setting.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
TimP
Black Belt

You could look up your CPU at ark.intel.com (if it is an Intel CPU) to be certain that there are 4 cores.  If it is a 2-core CPU with HyperThreading, like the one I am using, the behavior you describe is the normal default, as using 4 threads is expected to be slower than 1 thread pinned to each core while taking advantage of your simd architecture.  If you wish to check it, read up on MKL_DYNAMIC setting.

View solution in original post