Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.
6956 Discussions

Problem converting sparse matrix format in MKL using mkl_dcsrcoo

sagarmatha
Beginner

Hi,

Can the entries of coordinate(ia(nnz),ja(nnz),a(nnz)) formated input sparse matrix be in "ANY" order when connverting it into CSR format using mkl_dcsrcoo in Intel MKL(-in Fortran) or should the order be like(increasing in column or row). I get a wrong converted matrix in CSR format when the INPUT was a random ordered Coordinate sparse matrix.
Following is the code added to the example code in which I changed the order of coordinate formated input sparse matrix and output. The output CSR, i get different than the actual.
Does anyone knows why the converting is not correct? The output i get are:
AI= 1 3 5 7 9
AJ = 1 2 1 2 4 3 4 3
Acsr = 5.0 8.0 9.0 2.0 6.0 3.0 4.0 1.0
the actual ones are
AI_standard 1 3 5 7 9
AJ_standard 1 2 1 2 3 4 3 4
Acsr_standard5.0 8.09.0 2.0 3.0 6.0 1.04.0
thanks a lot
sagarm

Win xp sp3 32-bit

Intel core 2 2 ghz, 2 gb ram

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008

Version 9.0.30729.1 SP

Intel Visual Fortran Compiler Integration Package ID: w_cprof_p_11.1.035

Intel Visual Fortran Compiler Integration for Microsoft Visual Studio* 2008, 11.1.3462.200

[bash]
!C--------------------------------------------------------------------------- !C TASK 4 Obtain sparse row format from sparse coordinate format !C--------------------------------------------------------------------------- job(1)=1 job(6)=3 ! !----------------------------------------! Acsr=.0; AJ=0;AI=0 ! set to zero. !Acoo in different order. ir(1)=1; jc(1)= 1; Acoo(1)=5.0; ir(2)=4; jc(2)= 4; Acoo(2)=4.0; ir(3)=1; jc(3)= 2; Acoo(3)=8.0; ir(4)=4; jc(4)= 3; Acoo(4)=1.0; ir(5)=2; jc(5)= 1; Acoo(5)=9.0; ir(6)=3; jc(6)= 4; Acoo(6)=6.0; ir(7)=2; jc(7)= 2; Acoo(7)=2.0; ir(8)=3; jc(8)= 3; Acoo(8)=3.0; !----------------------------------------! call mkl_dcsrcoo (job,n,Acsr,AJ,AI,nnz,Acoo,ir,jc,info)[/bash]
0 Kudos
10 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
You are asking for a conversion to the 3-array CSR format. In that format, elements in row i must come before elements in row i+1; however, within a single row elements may be given in any order. Thus, the results you got are equivalent to the "standard one" with a different column order. In the COO format, the triplets can be given in any order. In the CSR format, as I just stated, there is a stipulation that rows appear in order. Column indices, however, need not be sorted.
0 Kudos
sagarmatha
Beginner
Thanks mecej4,
But the problem still exist. I was converting my COO matrix to the 3-array CSR format, simply to use it as input in PARDISO solver and I first started with the given example file as I mentioned in the question.
PARDISO returned me the following error, when I wanted to solve the converted(using mkl_dcsrcoo) CSR matrix from the COO formated(example 4*4 sparse )matrix with 1 rhs( 13, 11, 9, 5) so that solution is (1 1 1 1):

*** Error in PARDISO (incorrect input matrix ) error_num= 24
*** Input check: j=7, ja(j)=4, ja(j+1)=3 are incompatible
Reordering completed ...
The following ERROR was detected: -1

Does this mean, PARDISO requires, in each row, the column indices of the entries to be in increasing order. Am I understanding it correctly ?

thanks
sagarm
0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
Pardiso has an additional requirement. The Pardiso manual states: "The algorithms in PARDISO require JA to be increasingly ordered per row...". That would make the output of mkl_dcsrcoo possibly unsuitable for passing to Pardiso.

Let us wait for an Intel representative to address this discrepancy.
0 Kudos
sagarmatha
Beginner
I see.
thanks
sagarm
0 Kudos
sagarmatha
Beginner
any intel representative please !!
0 Kudos
Konstantin_A_Intel
Hello,
In fact,mkl_?csrcoo routine in MKL 10.2 and earlier versions didn't sorted column indices withing a row. So, in order to use CSR arrays from the converter in PARDISO you'd need to sort each interval of ja array for each row i: ja(ia(i):ia(i+1)-1)
However, MKL 10.3.Beta supports this feature. If you want, you may download it and follow the documentation:
if job(1)=2, the matrix in the coordinate format isconverted to the CSR format, and the column indices in CSR
representation are sorted in the increasing order within eachrow.
Regards,
Konstantin
0 Kudos
sagarmatha
Beginner
thanks a lot for the suggestion. I'll try 10.3.
sagarm
0 Kudos
Gennady_F_Intel
please try to use this link to get 10.3 beta faster..
0 Kudos
sagarmatha
Beginner
thanks Gennady
0 Kudos
Nicky_Sandhu
Beginner
I am using Intel MKL 10.3.11 and its still a problem. Any ideas when this fix will make it into the release?
0 Kudos