Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.
6956 Discussions

Problem creating sparse matrix handle coordinate format

marcsolal
Beginner

I have a problem creating a sparse matrix handle in coordinate format. I have a problem to make this function work in my code. I made a very simple example. I define a 10x10 identity matrix. My rows and column index array are defined by rows=cols=i+1; i=0 to 9. I get a return code for the function SPARSE_STATUS_NOT_INITIALIZED which means the handle is empty or the arrays are empty. The handle is empty because I am trying to create it and the arrays are not. I tried zero base and one base and double and complex value matrices. The results are the same

Am I missing something or is this a bug? 

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
#include "mkl.h"
int main() {
	MKL_INT nRows=10;
	MKL_INT* rows=new MKL_INT[nRows];
	MKL_INT* cols=new MKL_INT [nRows];
//	MKL_Complex16* permutData=new MKL_Complex16[nRows];
	double *permutData=new double[nRows];
	for (int i=0;i<nRows;i++){
		rows=i+1;
		cols=i+1;
		permutData=1.0;
		//permutData.real=1.0;
		//permutData.imag=0.0;
	}

sparse_matrix_t *MATRIX;
//	sparse_status_t ok=mkl_sparse_z_create_coo (MATRIX,SPARSE_INDEX_BASE_ONE,nRows,nRows, nRows, rows,cols,permutData);
	sparse_status_t ok=mkl_sparse_d_create_coo (MATRIX,SPARSE_INDEX_BASE_ONE,nRows,nRows, nRows, rows,cols,permutData);
	if (ok==SPARSE_STATUS_SUCCESS){
		cout<<"Matrix done\n";
		cout.flush();
	}
	else{
		cout<<"Problem in handle creation";
		cout.flush();
	}

return 0;
}

Thanks a lot,

Marc

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alexander_K_Intel2

HI,

I am currently cannot check this fact but seem problem in this line:

sparse_matrix_t *MATRIX;

Looks like you initialize pointer which set to NULL but have not initialize sparse_matrix_t variable. Could you rewrite code by following way:

18     sparse_matrix_t MATRIX;
20     sparse_status_t ok=mkl_sparse_d_create_coo (&MATRIX,SPARSE_INDEX_BASE_ONE,nRows,nRows, nRows, rows,cols,permutData);

In any case i will check issue later

Thanks,

Alex

0 Kudos
Zhen_Z_Intel
Employee

Dear customer,

Alex is right. Your program probably get error "SPARSE_STATUS_NOT_INITIALIZED" which represents a null pointer of matrix. You could also refer to %MKLROOT%\examples\examples_core_c\spblasc\source\sparse_csrmv.c to see how this example create handle for matrix in CSR format. It has similar usage with function for COO.

Best regards,
Fiona

0 Kudos
marcsolal
Beginner

I misunderstood how to use this. I was thinking the pointer was allocated and given a value in the function. I modified according to your suggestions. I think this issue is solved.

Thanks a lot,

Marc

0 Kudos