Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

Problem with MKL pardiso update 3

Roman1
New Contributor I

I have the following installed on my computer:
Intel Parallel Studio XE 2016 Update 2
Intel Parallel Studio XE 2016 Update 3

I think I have come across a serious bug in the latest MKL Pardiso 11.3 update 3.

Attached is a simple program that reads in a test matrix and right-hand-side.  I have included all the test input files in the attached zip file.
The MKL Pardiso is called to solve the system.
When compiled with Update 2, the program runs fine.  However, when compiled with Update 3, the system is NOT solved and the right-hand side is returned in the solution vector.

Roman

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Gennady_F_Intel

Roman, thanks for the issue, we will check the problem on our side. is that linux or windows? threading or serial version? lp64 or ILP64 API?

0 Kudos
Roman1
New Contributor I

I am using 64-bit Windows.  With threading and lp64.  Relevant compiler options are:

ifort   /Qopenmp  /libs:static /threads  /Qmkl:parallel

0 Kudos
Gennady_F_Intel

Roman, what I see with 11.3 u3 : 

Forums\u635080_pardiso>solvesystem.exe

Intel(R) Math Kernel Library Version 11.3.3 Product Build 20160413 for Intel(R) 64 architecture applications

ERROR: solution is identical to the right-hand-side!

Do you expect to see the x == rhs ?

0 Kudos
Roman1
New Contributor I

No, I do NOT expect x==rhs.  I expect x to contains the solution to the system A*x=rhs.  When I use update 2, it is equal to the solution, as expected.  However, with update 3, it is not.

0 Kudos
Gennady_F_Intel

pls try to set iparm(2)==0

0 Kudos
Roman1
New Contributor I

Thanks, setting iparm(2) to 0 made it work.  Does that mean that there is a problem with Metis?

0 Kudos
Gennady_F_Intel

yes, but the similar problem has to be fixed in 11.3 update 3. I will ask owner of this component have a look at this case again. thanks for the case.

0 Kudos
Roman1
New Contributor I

I just want to point out that setting iparm(2) to 0 is not an option for me.  Doing it makes my program run 4 times slower and use 2 times more RAM.  I would have to go back to the old MKL until this problem is fixed.

0 Kudos
Roman1
New Contributor I

Since I don't think there are any problems with the latest Fortran compiler, I would like to know if it is possible to use MKL from Update 2 with the Fortran compiler from Update 3?

I noticed that I have the following directories on my system:
C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2016.2.180\windows\mkl
C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2016.2.180\windows\redist\intel64_win\mkl
C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2016.3.207\windows\mkl
C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2016.3.207\windows\redist\intel64_win\mkl

Do you think it would work if I just copy the mkl directories from the old installation to the new one?  If this is a problem, I will just use the Update 2 compiler.

0 Kudos
Gennady_F_Intel

yes, this should work.

0 Kudos
Zhanghong_T_
Novice

Dear all,

Is this problem solved? I also found the same problem when upgraded from U2 to U3.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Gennady_F_Intel

the fix of this problem will be released the next update ( 11.3 update 4). For those who wants to receive the fix immediately, please submit the request into Intel Premier Support and I will give you the patch. thanks.

0 Kudos
Zhanghong_T_
Novice

Thanks. I have submitted the request.

0 Kudos
Zhanghong_T_
Novice

Dear Gennady,

The version you updated works for me. However, I noticed that two libs

mkl_scalapack_lp64.lib mkl_blacs_intelmpi_lp64.lib

are combined into mkl_core.lib, since when I compile my project it displayed errors that can't open these two libs. After I removed them from project settings. It works.

Thanks

0 Kudos