Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience has changed to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
6743 Discussions

The ordinal 242 could not be located in the dynamic link library mkl_intel_thread.dll

Shi_J_
Beginner

Hi everyone

I have been doing fortran programs with intel mkl for several years, but this time I faced a runtime error as:

The ordinal 242 could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2019\windows\redist\intel64\mkl\mkl_intel_thread.dll 

when I was trying to test sparse matrix function MKL_SPARSE_D_MV , and the test code is exactly the one I download from Intel official site. For convenience I paste the code here, and Line 66 is the function of  MKL_SPARSE_D_MV , if I comment this function it runs well.

My environment is listed as follows

Windows 10 x64, Visual Studio 2017 + Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2019 Update 3, and compiled with x64 Release version.

PROGRAM SPMV
!   *****************************************************************************
!   Declaration and initialization of parameters for sparse representation of
!   the matrix A in CSR format:
!   *****************************************************************************
    USE MKL_SPBLAS
    IMPLICIT NONE

INTEGER M, N, NNZ, i, info
!   Sparse representation of the matrix A
    INTEGER, ALLOCATABLE :: csrColInd(:), csrRowPtr(:)
    DOUBLE PRECISION, ALLOCATABLE :: csrVal(:)
!   Matrix descriptor
    TYPE(MATRIX_DESCR) descrA     ! Sparse matrix descriptor
!   CSR matrix representation 
    TYPE(SPARSE_MATRIX_T) csrA    ! Structure with sparse matrix
!   Declaration of local variables:
    DOUBLE PRECISION, ALLOCATABLE :: x(:), y(:)
    DOUBLE PRECISION alpha, beta

M = 5
    N = 5
    NNZ = 13
    ALLOCATE(csrColInd(NNZ))
    ALLOCATE(csrRowPtr(M+1))
    ALLOCATE(csrVal(NNZ))
    ALLOCATE(x(M))
    ALLOCATE(y(M))
    csrVal = (/ 1.0,-1.0,-3.0,-2.0,5.0,4.0,6.0,4.0,-4.0,2.0,7.0,8.0,-5.0 /)
    csrColInd = (/ 0,1,3,0,1,2,3,4,0,2,3,1,4 /)
    csrRowPtr = (/ 0, 3, 5, 8, 11, 13 /)
    x = (/ 1.0, 5.0, 1.0, 4.0, 1.0 /)
    y = (/ 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 /)
    alpha = 1.0
    beta  = 0.0

print*,'EXAMPLE PROGRAM FOR MKL_SPARSE_D_MV'
    print*,'---------------------------------------------------'
    print*,''
    print*,'INPUT DATA FOR MKL_SPARSE_D_MV'
    print*,'WITH GENERAL SPARSE MATRIX'
    print*,'ALPHA =',alpha,'BETA =',beta
    print*,'SPARSE_OPERATION_NON_TRANSPOSE'
    print*,'Input vector'
    do i = 1, M
        print*,x(i)
    enddo

!   Create CSR matrix
    i = MKL_SPARSE_D_CREATE_CSR(csrA,SPARSE_INDEX_BASE_ZERO,M,N,csrRowPtr,csrRowPtr(2),csrColInd,csrVal)

!   Create matrix descriptor
    descrA % TYPE = SPARSE_MATRIX_TYPE_GENERAL

!   Analyze sparse matrix; chose proper kernels and workload balancing strategy
    info = MKL_SPARSE_OPTIMIZE(csrA)

!   Compute y = alpha * A * x + beta * y
!! #############################################################

!! error from here, but when I comment following function, it runs well;
    info = MKL_SPARSE_D_MV(SPARSE_OPERATION_NON_TRANSPOSE,alpha,csrA,descrA,x,beta,y)
!! #############################################################

!   Release internal representation of CSR matrix
    info = MKL_SPARSE_DESTROY(csrA)

print*,''
    print*,'OUTPUT DATA FOR sparseDcsrmv'
    do i = 1, M
        print*,y(i)
    enddo

print*,'---------------------------------------------------'

END PROGRAM SPMV

0 Kudos
1 Solution
mecej4
Black Belt

I found a PC with

Intel(R) Visual Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 19.0.3.203 Build 20190206

and your program ran and gave correct results.

I suspect that some of your installed MKL files may have become corrupted. Please report what you get when you change to the directory containing mkl_intel_thread.dll and type the command

certutil -hashfile mkl_intel_thread.dll MD5

On my system, I see

3a31c220105784fb60edb3354dd147f5

View solution in original post

8 Replies
mecej4
Black Belt

I tried the earlier release 19.0.1 (Windows 10, 64 bit) on your example source, and the resulting program ran fine. I'll try to find a PC with 19.0.3 installed and try again.

Shi_J_
Beginner

Thank you mecej4, happy to hear that.

I also found that the sparse matrix - vector multiply functions mkl_dcsrgemv, mkl_dcsrmv lead to the same runtime error.

call mkl_dcsrgemv ( 'N' , M , csrVal , csrRowPtr , csrColInd , x , y )

matdescra(1) = 'G'
matdescra(4) = 'F'
call mkl_dcsrmv ( 'N' , M , M , alpha , matdescra , csrVal , csrColInd , csrRowPtr , csrRowPtr(2) , x , beta , y )

mecej4
Black Belt

I found a PC with

Intel(R) Visual Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 19.0.3.203 Build 20190206

and your program ran and gave correct results.

I suspect that some of your installed MKL files may have become corrupted. Please report what you get when you change to the directory containing mkl_intel_thread.dll and type the command

certutil -hashfile mkl_intel_thread.dll MD5

On my system, I see

3a31c220105784fb60edb3354dd147f5

Shi_J_
Beginner

Hi mecej4

I see my hash code is exactly identical to yours. 

I think the program linked to right DLL, because the popup error shows the DLL at the right location.

Spencer_P_Intel
Employee

Hi Shi, 

Can you show us how you are building, linking and then running the code sample?  Often when I have seen an ordinal issue like this in my own applications, it is because the export lib (ex: mkl_intel_thread_dll.lib) I linked against in my application and the runtime DLL (ex: mkl_intel_thread.dll) that is picked up are somehow incompatible, ie from different releases.

Best,

Spencer 

Shi_J_
Beginner

Hi Spencer

I 'm using VS2017 + Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2019 Update 3, and this is my setting of this fortran project using x64 Release version

1. in Fortran\Libraries\Runtime Library, use Multithread DLL (/libs:dll /threads)
  2. in Fortran\Libraries\Use Intel Math Kernel Library, use Parallel (/Qmkl:parallel)
  3. In Linker\Input\Additional Dependencies, use mkl_intel_thread_dll.lib

The Command line of Compiling procedure:

/nologo /O2 /standard-semantics /module:"x64\Release\\" /object:"x64\Release\\" /Fd"x64\Release\vc150.pdb" /libs:dll /threads /Qmkl:parallel /c

The Command line of linking procedure:

/OUT:"x64\Release\Console1.exe" /INCREMENTAL:NO /NOLOGO /MANIFEST /MANIFESTFILE:"x64\Release\Console1.exe.intermediate.manifest" /MANIFESTUAC:"level='asInvoker' uiAccess='false'" /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE /IMPLIB:"C:\Users\xxxx\Documents\Visual Studio 2017\Projects\Console1\Console1\x64\Release\Console1.lib" mkl_intel_thread_dll.lib

and the runtime library path is

C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2019.3.203\windows\redist\intel64_win\mkl

where  mkl_intel_thread.dll located, and this path is in the system Path variable.

Shi_J_
Beginner

Hi  mecej4 and Spencer

Thank you for your kind replies, which inspired me to check all DLLs that exe file depended on. Finally I found that an old version of

libiomp5md.dll

located in my System32 and SysWOW64 folder, which are incompatible with my intel compiler. I replaced this file with lastest one, and the code ran fine. So next time the ordinal issue come up, I think every depended dll requires double check.

mecej4
Black Belt

Shi J., thanks for that report -- I would not have guessed that the openMP DLL was the mismatched one. 

In similar situations, I have found it useful to use the WHERE utility to locate and report a DLL whose name I specify. If it is not the one I expected to be used, I can look at the environment setup to see why, for example, an older DLL will be used instead of a newer version which is available in a different directory.