Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

Which SVD driver routine is most efficient?

zzzhhh
Beginner

There are many a SVD driver routines in MKL (see page 986 of MKL reference manual). I checked LAPACK Users' Guide but obviously it's behind the tide because it only mentioned the divide and conquer method in addition to the traditional algorithm. So, among these candidate SVD driver routines, which one is most efficient? The platform being considered is the regular Windows 10 Core i5. Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Khang_N_Intel
Employee

Hi zzzhhh,

There is a tool called Intel(R) MKL LAPACK Function Finding Advisor at:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-mkl-function-finding-advisor

This is an interactive tool; you enter what you want to solve like linear equations..., the type of matrices and so on.  The tool will display a list of LAPACK functions available in Intel(R)) MKL base on your specification.

I don't know whether this would answer your question.

Best Regards,

Khang

0 Kudos
zzzhhh
Beginner

Nguyen, Khang T (Intel) (Intel) wrote:

Hi zzzhhh,

There is a tool called Intel(R) MKL LAPACK Function Finding Advisor at:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-mkl-function-finding-adv...

This is an interactive tool; you enter what you want to solve like linear equations..., the type of matrices and so on.  The tool will display a list of LAPACK functions available in Intel(R)) MKL base on your specification.

I don't know whether this would answer your question.

Best Regards,

Khang

This is another good example in this forum of answering a question without first reading it. Khang, can you re-read my question again and ask yourself whether you have any idea of what I was asking about?

0 Kudos
Khang_N_Intel
Employee

Hi zzzhhh,

I apologize on my part for not answering directly. after consulting with the team, here it is: there are 2 SVD drivers,  ?GESVD and ?GESDD. Both drivers were optimized in MKL. The first driver ?GESVD is most reliable but it is slower than ?GESDD.

Let me know if you have any other question.

Best Regards,

Khang

0 Kudos
zzzhhh
Beginner

Again, Khang, you still haven't read my question. Have you seen this in my question: "(see page 986 of MKL reference manual)"? Open that manual and count how many SVD algorithms available in MKL. Also, I'm asking about "efficiency", not "reliability". I have to say, you are not only unqualified to answer my question, but also unqualified to work in intel.

0 Kudos
Khang_N_Intel
Employee

Hi zzzhhh,

I am sorry that I cannot make you happy.  I will have somebody else assist you with your issue.

Best Regards,

Khang

0 Kudos